AnsweredAssumed Answered

Code compiled as Release behaves different than Debug code

Question asked by Krellmann.Martin on Dec 16, 2016
Latest reply on Dec 29, 2016 by Clive One

Hello experts.

Currently I experience a very strange problem with my firmware for a STM32F334.
I just switched from the debug configuration to release, uploaded the code to the device and it behaves totally different.

First of all being programmed with St-Link it does not start at all. If I program the device by the debug environment it starts, but does not work correct. To name it exactly, there is a timer for frequency measurement counting on an external clock. The data is collected by a DMA channel with a samling rate of 5 kHz. This fails at some point (not sure where) and a security mechanism is triggered.

I use a modified linker script and a modified startup file since I have initialized data in CCMRAM. Please find the files attached. Thus, I also use a different objcopy command to create the binary image for the flash memory:

arm-none-eabi-objcopy -R .data -R .ccmram -R .ccmidata -R .bss -O binary "${BuildArtifactFileBaseName}.elf" "${BuildArtifactFileBaseName}.bin"

The pehripheral initialization is the same for release or debug firmwares. I have the same optimization level for both as well. But, there are no debugging symbols in the release firmware. Because of this and because I do not expect different hardware timinigs with a connected debugger, there is probably something wrong with the linker script, the startup code or the objcopy command.

I'm not sure what information I can proivde in addition... Please ask if there is any.

My platform is Eclipse with SW4 and I do use the StdPeriph library and the arm-math library (but not in precompiled form).

Best regards,

Martin.

Outcomes