AnsweredAssumed Answered

*** STMCube is NOT ready for prime time! ??? ***

Question asked by lamothe.andre on Aug 8, 2014
Latest reply on Aug 27, 2014 by Laurent D
I see a lot of talk about STMCube on here, and I am sure its exciting for ST to be developing this new product. But, this is NOT ready for professional level embedded engineers that need to ship products that work. I need to spend time building stuff, not hunting down bugs, and playing with APIs and tools that don't work.

I am shocked that ST is not supporting the Standard Peripheral Libs anymore. I have put in an email to leadership (I am the CEO of an Austin Embedded company, so hopefully it will find its way to decision makers), but that said, of the FAEs on here and professionals, have we heard anything that ST is going to come to their senses and retract the position of not updating and supporting the Standard Peripheral Libraries? And instead do the SANE thing of continuing to support the SPL while suggesting customer try out the new STMCube tech, and at such time the STM Cube tech is 100% operational then they can wind down the SPL support.

Right now, these forums seem like free tech support and bug hunting by us customers, we are doing STs work for them! ST should have debugged this tech 100%, introduced it to ALL the compiler vendors 6 months ago, induced them to support it in ADDITION to the SPL, so this transition wouldn't be such a cluster frack!

So, right now, I am torn between continuing to use the SPL and old libs potentially not being able to use a new Cortex chip I might need, switching to freescale, or potentially wasting 100-200 hours trying to get the STMCube tech to work and port everything, only to find it doesn't work.

My initial findings are that, there is a lot of broken stuff, my tool vendor doesn't support it (Rowley), and there are going to be a lot of manual steps to make this all work. Generating the files with STMCube, copying them, hacking, etc. This isn't 1980's and DOS anymore, I want the tools to do everything.

Its not well documented, tested, etc. And this is FINE, if it was a transitional library, but now its the ONLY supported library -- its like Windows 8 -- what is ST thinking?

Thoughts?

Opinions?

Comments?

What is everyone else doing?

Andre'

Outcomes