AnsweredAssumed Answered

STLink USB communication error

Question asked by bakker.huub on Feb 4, 2011
Latest reply on Feb 6, 2011 by bakker.huub
I know that this forum is for the Discovery but I have a question regarding the STM3210C-Eval board, which is similar, and for which there is no forum.

I've been working with a small STM32 board, programming it with Atollic TrueStudio and the DeFUse Demonstration software. Slow work but making progress. I decided to speed things up by buying an STM3210C-Eval board and an ST-Link. The evaluation board powers up fine and runs the demo software. The ST-Link shows up as a USB drive on my computer with ST internet links on it. All good.

I connect the JTAG ribbon cable from the ST-Link to the evaluation board, plug the ST-Link into the USB and then the power to the evaluation board. Using the STM32 ST-Link Utility I try to connect to the board but I get an "STLink USB communication error" every time. I have made sure that the setting is for JTAG (although I checked SWD as well for a laugh). Also disconnected the ST-Link from the computer and got another error instead so the ST-Link is definitely visible and working.

I switched to another computer in case there was a problem with USB drivers but still had the same problem.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what is going wrong here? A simple newbie problem? A dud ST-Link?

Outcomes