AnsweredAssumed Answered

Boot into multiple main applications?

Question asked by DWORD32 on Aug 16, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 16, 2016 by DWORD32
I currently have my own bootloader running with a main application on a STM32F429ZIT.  The internal flash memory is broken down into 3 sections:

1. Bootloader
2. Main Application (Bank A)
3. Temporary storage for new update (Bank B)

For ease of discussion, assume the memory map is as follows:

Bootloader
0x08000000 - 0x0800FFFF

Main App (Bank A)
0x08010000 - 0x0801FFFF

Tempororary storage (Bank B)
0x08020000 - 0x0802FFFF

Currently, when I update the firmware, I store the new hex file in Bank B, and then perform a processor reset.  The bootloader will see the new hex file in Bank B, and perform the following steps:

1. Delete current main application residing in Bank A
2. Copy new hex file from Bank B to Bank A
3. Reset, and go right into the newly updated application in Bank A.

What I am looking to do is eliminate the step 2, which copies the hex file from Bank B to Bank A.  I would like to have the bootloader be able to go to either Bank A or Bank B.

Basically, I want to ping-pong between the two different applications.

For example, if I am currently running from Bank B, I'll store the new update in Bank A.  If I am currently running from Bank A,   I'll store the new update in Bank B.  The bootloader will then jump to whichever one is newer.

So my question is this:

If I compile the main app as if it were being run from Bank A (starting address of 0x08010000), will it matter that the application was compiled with a start address of 0x08010000 but then it is being run from 0x08020000?  I would like to be able to compile the main app, and have it be able to run from either bank when programmed into the chip.  I know at least as a start, the application needs to be aware of what bank it is running in, and adjust the interrupt vector table offset accordingly on the fly (SCB->VTOR), 

Thank you!

Outcomes