AnsweredAssumed Answered

CPU suddenly hangs

Question asked by hieber.jan on Jul 6, 2016
Latest reply on Jul 6, 2016 by hieber.jan
I have got an STM32F407 (discovery board) + RN1723 UART WLAN module.
I'm using STM32CubeMX + FreeRTOS (all up to date).

Now I have a problem I never encountered before when working with STM32. I have multiple Tasks running, UART communication etc and at a specific point my CPU suddenly does weird things.
When I kick in the debugger I observe that it hangs in HAL_TIM_IRQHandler, but the status register (SR) is 0, so no handler is executed.
By toggling an DO in the handler, I can see that it always reenters the handler in a endless loop, also the CNT register then is always 0.

But: when I try to set clever breakpoints to catch the CPU just before this problem occurs, I can observe that the SR suddenly is 0xfffffff7 (all other timer registers seem to have random values).

Also UART does not work any more in this situation. When I remove complexity a bit, the problem may never occur, when I add more code complexity the problem occurs earlier.

I have both stack overflow detection on, also the MallocFailed handler, but nothing kicks in. I tried increasing the stack of the tasks, does not change anything.

In the callstack i only see this:

HAL_TIM_IRQHandler() at stm32f4xx_hal_tim.c:2.918 0x80010c2    
    <signal handler called>() at 0xfffffffd    
    prvPortStartFirstTask() at port.c:290 0x8002b68    
    xPortStartScheduler() at port.c:382 0x8002db4    
    0x0    

Sometimes the HardFault Handler kicks in, then ALL timer registers are 0 again and the stack looks like this:
    prvGetRegistersFromStack() at handlers.c:49 0x8003d44    
    HardFault_Handler() at stm32f4xx_it.c:59 0x80044bc    
    <signal handler called>() at 0xfffffff1    
    HAL_TIM_IRQHandler() at stm32f4xx_hal_tim.c:2.802 0x8000f96    
    <signal handler called>() at 0xfffffffd    
    prvPortStartFirstTask() at port.c:290 0x8002b68    
    xPortStartScheduler() at port.c:382 0x8002db4    
    0x0    

I only see it comes from the ISR, but that does not help much.

Something very strange with random symptoms is happening here, maybe someone can give me a hint how to track this down.

Thanks
Jan

Outcomes