AnsweredAssumed Answered

configuration vs. standarisation

Question asked by Johanan on Oct 28, 2014
Latest reply on Oct 30, 2014 by Johanan
While the STM32F4 is a real beast, it is very clear that ST people put a lot of effort in the HAL library an the CubeMX software.
Unfortunately, it seems to me that this huge effort has not produce the expected result, I have not been able to use any of CubMX code "out of the box", and the initialization is rather complex, it took me a lot of time to get things to work (one option is that I am not talented enough. could be...)
While I am aware of the almost infinite options that the chip has, it is clear the the majority of users will use it in a rather "standard" way, and peripherals like UART, GPIO, ADC etc. are used in very similar ways, maybe in DMA or non-DMA mode.
So, playing a bit with an Arduino , just to learn why it has become so popular, one can not avoid wondering. To use a SD card in the Arduino "ecosystem" you start by
SD.begin();
 if this is successful the next thing you do is
file = SD.open("index.html");
Now, how much code should one write to get the STM32F4  to do the same thing?

I wonder why ST is not using the C++ options, which are available in all ARM IDEs and write a really easy to use library. (looking at the Arduino library can be a good start).

Outcomes