AnsweredAssumed Answered

Undefined symbol assert_param (referred from misc.o) in keil with stm32f407

Question asked by ashraf.salahuddin on Mar 22, 2014
Latest reply on Mar 23, 2014 by Clive One
Hi everyone, 
I'm trying to compile and run an example found on the internet implementing USART on an stm32f4Discovery kit, I'm using keil uV5

here is the code 
<p>
#include <stm32f4xx.h>
#include <misc.h>                // I recommend you have a look at these in the ST firmware folder
#include <stm32f4xx_usart.h> // under Libraries/STM32F4xx_StdPeriph_Driver/inc and src
#include <stm32f4xx_rcc.h>
#include <stm32f4xx_gpio.h>
#include <system_stm32f4xx.h>
#include "stm32f4xx_conf.h"

#define MAX_STRLEN 12 // this is the maximum string length of our string in characters
volatile char received_string[MAX_STRLEN+1]; // this will hold the recieved string

void Delay(__IO uint32_t nCount) {
  while(nCount--) {  }
}

void init_USART1(uint32_t baudrate){
     GPIO_InitTypeDef GPIO_InitStruct; // this is for the GPIO pins used as TX and RX
     USART_InitTypeDef USART_InitStruct; // this is for the USART1 initialization
     //NVIC_InitTypeDef NVIC_InitStructure; // this is used to configure the NVIC (nested vector interrupt controller)

RCC_APB2PeriphClockCmd(RCC_APB2Periph_USART1, ENABLE);
     RCC_AHB1PeriphClockCmd(RCC_AHB1Periph_GPIOB, ENABLE);

GPIO_InitStruct.GPIO_Pin = GPIO_Pin_6 | GPIO_Pin_7; // Pins 6 (TX) and 7 (RX) are used
     GPIO_InitStruct.GPIO_Mode = GPIO_Mode_AF;                // the pins are configured as alternate function so the USART peripheral has access to them
     GPIO_InitStruct.GPIO_Speed = GPIO_Speed_50MHz;          // this defines the IO speed and has nothing to do with the baudrate!
     GPIO_InitStruct.GPIO_OType = GPIO_OType_PP;               // this defines the output type as push pull mode (as opposed to open drain)
     GPIO_InitStruct.GPIO_PuPd = GPIO_PuPd_UP;               // this activates the pullup resistors on the IO pins
     GPIO_Init(GPIOB, &GPIO_InitStruct);                         // now all the values are passed to the GPIO_Init() function which sets the GPIO registers

GPIO_PinAFConfig(GPIOB, GPIO_PinSource6, GPIO_AF_USART1); //
     GPIO_PinAFConfig(GPIOB, GPIO_PinSource7, GPIO_AF_USART1);

USART_InitStruct.USART_BaudRate = baudrate;     // the baudrate is set to the value we passed into this init function
     USART_InitStruct.USART_WordLength = USART_WordLength_8b;// we want the data frame size to be 8 bits (standard)
     USART_InitStruct.USART_StopBits = USART_StopBits_1;          // we want 1 stop bit (standard)
     USART_InitStruct.USART_Parity = USART_Parity_No;          // we don't want a parity bit (standard)
     USART_InitStruct.USART_HardwareFlowControl = USART_HardwareFlowControl_None; // we don't want flow control (standard)
     USART_InitStruct.USART_Mode = USART_Mode_Tx | USART_Mode_Rx; // we want to enable the transmitter and the receiver
     USART_Init(USART1, &USART_InitStruct);               // again all the properties are passed to the USART_Init function which takes care of all the bit setting

//USART_ITConfig(USART1, USART_IT_RXNE, ENABLE);                 // enable the USART1 receive interrupt
     //NVIC_InitStructure.NVIC_IRQChannel = USART1_IRQn;           // we want to configure the USART1 interrupts
     //NVIC_InitStructure.NVIC_IRQChannelPreemptionPriority = 0;// this sets the priority group of the USART1 interrupts
     //NVIC_InitStructure.NVIC_IRQChannelSubPriority = 0;           // this sets the subpriority inside the group
     //NVIC_InitStructure.NVIC_IRQChannelCmd = ENABLE;                // the USART1 interrupts are globally enabled
     //NVIC_Init(&NVIC_InitStructure);                                    // the properties are passed to the NVIC_Init function which takes care of the low level stuff

USART_Cmd(USART1, ENABLE);
}

void USART_puts(USART_TypeDef* USARTx, volatile char *s){
     while(*s){
          while( !(USARTx->SR & 0x00000040) );
          USART_SendData(USARTx, *s);
          *s++;
     }
}

int main(void) {
  init_USART1(9600); // initialize USART1 @ 9600 baud
  USART_puts(USART1, "Init complete! Hello World!rn"); // just send a message to indicate that it works
  while (1){  }
}

</p>
I've worked for a long time to eliminate too many errors appeared because of linking and finally I've solved all of them except one error
<p>
Build target 'STM32F407 Flash'
compiling stm32f4xx_gpio.c...
compiling stm32f4xx_rcc.c...
compiling stm32f4xx_usart.c...
linking...
.\Flash\Blinky.axf: Error: L6218E: Undefined symbol assert_param (referred from misc.o).
Not enough information to list image symbols.
Finished: 1 information, 0 warning and 1 error messages.
".\Flash\Blinky.axf" - 1 Error(s), 0 Warning(s).
Target not created

</p>

I searched a lot for a solution for this assert_param issue but I couldn't 

Here are my questions 
-How to solve this error ?
-What is the importance of  these two header files? 
stm32f4xx_conf.h and misc.h

-Where is the definition of assert_failed function as I used "go to the definition" of assert_failed but it wasn't found 

Really I'll appreciate any help 
Thanks a lot

Outcomes