AnsweredAssumed Answered

A strange problem related to printf by SWO port. Is there two cores in stm32 chip?

Question asked by chen.yu.004 on Feb 25, 2014
Latest reply on Feb 26, 2014 by chen.yu.004
I found this problem when debug the CAN bus. The received data can not be showned in the printf via SWO. At first I thought there were something wrong in configuraion. But at last I found that the data can be shown in a LCD screen.
At last I located the problem at the blowing program.

int i = 0;
        int flag = 0;
        int t = 0;//
        char buf[32];//buffer
        while (1) {
                if (i == 0) {
                        if (flag)//flag is non-zero means a message has been received.
                                sprintf(buf, "%d\n", t++);//write t to buf, and ++t.
                        else
                                sprintf(buf, "a%d\n", t++);//write t to buf. The 'a' is for distinguishing
                        LCD_Println(0, buf);//show the data in LCD screen
                        printf(buf);//send data to PC via SWO port
                        if(flag){//I didn't write this 3 lines at first, I'll explain this later.
                                while(1);
                        }
                        flag = 0;//clear the flag
                        i = 1000000;//it costs about 1s for i to decreased to zero
                } else if (i > 0) {
                        i--;
                }

if (CAN_GetFlagStatus(CANx, CAN_FLAG_FMP0)) {//data received
                        LED_Toggle(0);//toggle the led 0
                        flag = 1;
                        t = 0;//reset the variable t
                        CAN_Receive(CANx, CAN_FIFO0, &RxMessage);//receive the data, to clear the FLAG_FMP0
                }
                if (flag)//show the state of flag
                        LED_On(1);
                else
                        LED_Off(1);
        }

When there're no the line 13 to 15, the expected result is that when a message received, the printed number start again from zero. But the real result is that the number on the LCD do what expected, but the data received via SWO just increases, as if no data received by CAN bus.
After adding line 13 to 15, the expected result is that when a message received, the number is set to zero and stop increasing. The real result is that the number on the LCD do stop, but the number received from SWO port just increases as usual.
So It seems there are two core in the chip, and the one that manages the SWO port doesn't know that a message have been received from the CAN BUS.
I use a STM32F407VG, and the debugger is ST-Link on the STM32F4 Discovery board. The compiler I used is GCC.

Outcomes