AnsweredAssumed Answered

STM32F4 - Flash stall -- more info

Question asked by naphtali on Feb 12, 2014
Latest reply on Feb 12, 2014 by Jack Peacock
I have been reading conflicting reports on writing/reading to/from FLASH when running your program code from FLASH as well.

First of all, where is there documentation saying that you can stall the processor by doing this with an M4? I read the programming manual and the reference manual, and I don't see it there.

For instance, let's say that I have my program code running in Sectors 0-3 and want to use Sector 4 for configuration code. Also, I need to be able to read, write, and erase my config code after executing main.

What does it mean to stall the processor? Does this mean that we cannot access FLASH indefinitely, or until the current FLASH operation is writing? If I am writing to memory location in one sector, can I read from a memory location in another sector at the same time?

If the processor stalls (lets say I have a 168MHz clock and 5WS), can we know the maximum length of the stall? Assuming we knew the operation, it would be different for a sector erase or for a read.

During a processor stall, what stops working? Do my peripherals still function? Will I miss interrupts?

Outcomes