AnsweredAssumed Answered

Does GPIO_Init require a short delay to take effect?

Question asked by manderin.tim on Feb 9, 2014
Latest reply on Feb 14, 2014 by manderin.tim
Hi! First, I have to say that this forum has been super helpful with designing our new product based on the STM32F2. Even though this is my first post, I have been using this forum for months for reference. Also, hats off to Clive, because you sir - are the true ARM guru! I'm blown away at your knowledge and patience.

Okay, so my question is regarding GPIO_Init. Our product changes the I/O direction of a pin often. After performing a very simple GPIO_Init(), such as....

GPIO_InitTypeDef GPIO_InitStructure;
GPIO_InitStructure.GPIO_OType = GPIO_OType_PP;
GPIO_InitStructure.GPIO_PuPd = PuPd;
GPIO_InitStructure.GPIO_Pin = pin;  
GPIO_InitStructure.GPIO_Mode = direction;
GPIO_InitStructure.GPIO_Speed = GPIO_Speed_100MHz;
GPIO_Init(bank, &GPIO_InitStructure);

Should I DELAY for a number of cycles before the change takes effect? Or should I expect it to be immediate?

For example, I am currently delaying for 40 cycles after I change the I/O function of a pin. To be honest, I am not sure why I started doing that. Today it got me thinking, do I even need to pause after changing the I/O function of a pin?

This is what I'm currently doing, and I don't think I need too - it's good to verify.

void SetIODirection(GPIO_TypeDef *bank, int16 pin, GPIOMode_TypeDef direction, GPIOPuPd_TypeDef PuPd) {

GPIO_InitTypeDef GPIO_InitStructure;
  GPIO_InitStructure.GPIO_OType = GPIO_OType_PP;
  GPIO_InitStructure.GPIO_PuPd = PuPd;

GPIO_InitStructure.GPIO_Pin = pin;  
  GPIO_InitStructure.GPIO_Mode = direction;
  GPIO_InitStructure.GPIO_Speed = GPIO_Speed_100MHz;
  GPIO_Init(bank, &GPIO_InitStructure);

DelayCycles(40);
}

Outcomes