AnsweredAssumed Answered

stm32f417zgt6 uart problem

Question asked by turan.gunay on Jun 21, 2013
Latest reply on Jun 25, 2013 by turan.gunay
Hello all,

I've been trying to make a LCD driver's usart get working for days. LCD driver has an stm32f417zgt6. Connections are already made on pcb so I have to use the pins on the schematics. I found a code on the internet, examined it for 3 days long looking into each libraries. Code is alright I think. 

Addition to the ready code I need to enable the transreciever by setting PC3 and reseting PC2, I wrote those part of the code myself. The problem is I cannot make it send any data to the PC. Here is the code

#include <stm32f4xx.h>
#include <misc.h>                // I recommend you have a look at these in the ST firmware folder
#include <stm32f4xx_usart.h> // under Libraries/STM32F4xx_StdPeriph_Driver/inc and src
#include <stm32f4xx_gpio.h>

#define MAX_STRLEN 12 // this is the maximum string length of our string in characters
volatile char received_string[MAX_STRLEN+1]; // this will hold the recieved string

void Delay(__IO uint32_t nCount) {
  while(nCount--) {
  }
}

/* This funcion initializes the USART1 peripheral
 * Arguments: baudrate --> the baudrate at which the USART is
 *                                  supposed to operate
 */
void init_USART1(uint32_t baudrate){

/* This is a concept that has to do with the libraries provided by ST
      * to make development easier the have made up something similar to
      * classes, called TypeDefs, which actually just define the common
      * parameters that every peripheral needs to work correctly
      * They make our life easier because we don't have to mess around with
      * the low level stuff of setting bits in the correct registers
      */
     GPIO_InitTypeDef GPIO_InitStruct; // this is for the GPIO pins used as TX and RX
     USART_InitTypeDef USART_InitStruct; // this is for the USART1 initilization
     NVIC_InitTypeDef NVIC_InitStructure; // this is used to configure the NVIC (nested vector interrupt controller)

/* enable APB2 peripheral clock for USART1
      * note that only USART1 and USART6 are connected to APB2
      * the other USARTs are connected to APB1
      */
     RCC_APB2PeriphClockCmd(RCC_APB2Periph_USART1, ENABLE);

/* enable the peripheral clock for the pins used by
      * USART1, PB6 for TX and PB7 for RX
      */
     RCC_AHB1PeriphClockCmd(RCC_AHB1Periph_GPIOA, ENABLE);

/* This sequence sets up the TX and RX pins
      * so they work correctly with the USART1 peripheral
      */
     GPIO_InitStruct.GPIO_Pin = GPIO_Pin_9 | GPIO_Pin_10; // Pins 6 (TX) and 7 (RX) are used
     GPIO_InitStruct.GPIO_Mode = GPIO_Mode_AF;                // the pins are configured as alternate function so the USART peripheral has access to them
     GPIO_InitStruct.GPIO_Speed = GPIO_Speed_50MHz;          // this defines the IO speed and has nothing to do with the baudrate!
     GPIO_InitStruct.GPIO_OType = GPIO_OType_PP;               // this defines the output type as push pull mode (as opposed to open drain)
     GPIO_InitStruct.GPIO_PuPd = GPIO_PuPd_UP;               // this activates the pullup resistors on the IO pins
     GPIO_Init(GPIOA, &GPIO_InitStruct);                         // now all the values are passed to the GPIO_Init() function which sets the GPIO registers

/* The RX and TX pins are now connected to their AF
      * so that the USART1 can take over control of the
      * pins
      */
     GPIO_PinAFConfig(GPIOA, GPIO_PinSource9, GPIO_AF_USART1); //
     GPIO_PinAFConfig(GPIOA, GPIO_PinSource10, GPIO_AF_USART1);

/* Now the USART_InitStruct is used to define the
      * properties of USART1
      */
     USART_InitStruct.USART_BaudRate = baudrate;                    // the baudrate is set to the value we passed into this init function
     USART_InitStruct.USART_WordLength = USART_WordLength_8b;// we want the data frame size to be 8 bits (standard)
     USART_InitStruct.USART_StopBits = USART_StopBits_1;          // we want 1 stop bit (standard)
     USART_InitStruct.USART_Parity = USART_Parity_No;          // we don't want a parity bit (standard)
     USART_InitStruct.USART_HardwareFlowControl = USART_HardwareFlowControl_None; // we don't want flow control (standard)
     USART_InitStruct.USART_Mode = USART_Mode_Tx | USART_Mode_Rx; // we want to enable the transmitter and the receiver
     USART_Init(USART1, &USART_InitStruct);                         // again all the properties are passed to the USART_Init function which takes care of all the bit setting

/* Here the USART1 receive interrupt is enabled
      * and the interrupt controller is configured
      * to jump to the USART1_IRQHandler() function
      * if the USART1 receive interrupt occurs
      */
     USART_ITConfig(USART1, USART_IT_RXNE, ENABLE); // enable the USART1 receive interrupt

NVIC_InitStructure.NVIC_IRQChannel = USART1_IRQn;           // we want to configure the USART1 interrupts
     NVIC_InitStructure.NVIC_IRQChannelPreemptionPriority = 0;// this sets the priority group of the USART1 interrupts
     NVIC_InitStructure.NVIC_IRQChannelSubPriority = 0;           // this sets the subpriority inside the group
     NVIC_InitStructure.NVIC_IRQChannelCmd = ENABLE;                // the USART1 interrupts are globally enabled
     NVIC_Init(&NVIC_InitStructure);                                    // the properties are passed to the NVIC_Init function which takes care of the low level stuff

// finally this enables the complete USART1 peripheral
     USART_Cmd(USART1, ENABLE);

void init_GPIO(void){

RCC_AHB1PeriphClockCmd(RCC_AHB1Periph_GPIOC, ENABLE);
        GPIO_InitTypeDef GPIO_InitStruct;  
        GPIO_InitStruct.GPIO_Pin = GPIO_Pin_2 | GPIO_Pin_3;
     GPIO_InitStruct.GPIO_Mode = GPIO_Mode_OUT;           // we want the pins to be an output
        GPIO_InitStruct.GPIO_Speed = GPIO_Speed_50MHz;      // this sets the GPIO modules clock speed
        GPIO_InitStruct.GPIO_OType = GPIO_OType_PP;      // this sets the pin type to push / pull (as opposed to open drain)
        GPIO_InitStruct.GPIO_PuPd = GPIO_PuPd_NOPULL; 
     GPIO_Init(GPIOC, &GPIO_InitStruct);

void USART_puts(USART_TypeDef* USARTx, volatile char *s){

while(*s){
          // wait until data register is empty
          while( !(USARTx->SR & 0x00000040) );
          USART_SendData(USARTx, *s);
          *s++;
     }
}

int main(void) {

init_USART1(9600); // initialize USART1 @ 9600 baud

init_GPIO();

GPIO_ResetBits(GPIOC, GPIO_Pin_2);
  GPIO_SetBits(GPIOC, GPIO_Pin_3);

USART_SendData(USART1, 'a');
  USART_puts(USART1, "Gunay"); // just send a message to indicate that it works

while (1){
   USART_puts(USART1, "Gunay");
  }
}

// this is the interrupt request handler (IRQ) for ALL USART1 interrupts
void USART1_IRQHandler(void){

// check if the USART1 receive interrupt flag was set
     if( USART_GetITStatus(USART1, USART_IT_RXNE) ){

static uint8_t cnt = 0; // this counter is used to determine the string length
          char t = USART1->DR; // the character from the USART1 data register is saved in t

/* check if the received character is not the LF character (used to determine end of string)
           * or the if the maximum string length has been been reached
           */
          if( (t != 'n') && (cnt < MAX_STRLEN) ){
               received_string[cnt] = t;
               cnt++;
          }
          else{ // otherwise reset the character counter and print the received string
               cnt = 0;
               USART_puts(USART1, received_string);
          }
     }
}

Please help me on this one. There is no compiling errors. But on the debug, I could not change the value of GPIOC_BSRR register. I've tried everything: I've wrote on GPIO->BSRRL and H directly, used void functions, tried to write 32bit directly but none helped to change them. I think the problem comes from this register.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,
Gunay

Outcomes