AnsweredAssumed Answered

STM32F407: Using DFuse or STLINK to talk directly to the bootloader, bypassing JTAG

Question asked by fortner.michael on Jun 12, 2013
Latest reply on Jun 15, 2013 by randle.bill

Hello,

I have a customer that is using the following Omilex STM32F407 based board for development: https://www.olimex.com/Products/ARM/ST/STM32-P407/

They selected this board because the STM32F4 discovery boards we provided did not implement an ethernet port/PHY.

They are trying to get STLINK/DFuse working with the board on a PC that is running Windows 7 (64-bit) and connecting to the board using USB, but have run into trouble because they want to talk directly to the bootloader, not a JTAG processor such as the one on the Discovery Board.

-STLINK: They receive a message that states no STLINK is found. Note that STLINK appears within Device Manager and they have confirmed it works with a Discovery Board (uses the JTAG processor)
-DFuse: DFuse finds the device, but it crashes immediately if the customer tries to upload anything to the device

So essentially they are trying to talk directly to the STM32F407 part with no jtag device involvement (i.e. change the boot mode from user flash to system memory and use the built-in USB boot loader).

Again, the customer knows it is partially working because he can  see the device in Windows Device Manager.

So at this point he has asked me to confirm that STLINK has the capability of talking to the built in boot loader. If not, is there another tool he needs to consider which will allow him to talk directly to the bootloader and not a separate Jtag processor on the board (USB bootloader?).

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Mike

Outcomes