AnsweredAssumed Answered

Unexpected code line jumping

Question asked by MrStive on Oct 9, 2012
Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 by malund.erik
Hi,
I'm experiencing a strange problem with IAR EWARM and STM32F4DISCOVERY.

I have quite a deep nested 'if' function setup that is misbehaving. I have checked, double and triple checked the brackets and semicolons. I have also auto indented the function and it all matches up and looks fine.

However when debugging the code, it seems to unexpectedly jump to lines (when stepping into [F11]), that it shouldnt. The problem seems to be irrelevant to the if statements, as it sometimes skips to a line without processing the proceeding line first.
This is hard to explain, see short example below

g = 1;
h = 2;

if (g==1){
 if (h==1){
   i=1;
   j=2;
   k=3;
 }else if (h==2){
   i=2;
   j=3;
   k=4;
 }else{
   i=0;
   j=0;
   k=0;
 }
}else{
 i=8;
 j=9;
 k=10;
}

Obviously in this case the output should be i=2, j=3 and k=4.
But when stepping through the code, the debugger will execute in the order given by the red numbers. In green is what should happen

g = 1; 1
h = 2; 2

if (g==1){ 3
 if (h==1){ 4
   i=1;
   j=2;
   k=3;
 }else if (h==2){ 5
   i=2; 6
   j=3; 7
   k=4; 8
 }else{
   i=0;
   j=0;
   k=0;
 }
}else{
 i=8;
 j=9; 6
 k=10; 7
}

Yes that's right, it even skips i=8!! How can this be? At least the compiler seems to be consistent with where it skips. But how/why?
Obviously my code is a lot bigger than this, but essentially this is whats happening. Could i be running out of memory/stack or something? I am using a lot of floats. I also have several timers running interrupts in the background, and this function itself is called via an interrupt.

Help!? This is doing my head in... thanks!

Outcomes