AnsweredAssumed Answered

SPI timing issues on STM32F103

Question asked by rll_in_nc on May 25, 2012
Latest reply on May 25, 2012 by rll_in_nc
I'm having some issues with the SPI on the STM32 and I can't seem to figure out what the problem is.  I'm having issues on both the TX and RX directions. I'm using it in master mode in both cases.  I have multiple devices hanging onto the SPI bus so I'm using GPIO under software control slave selects.

A) In unidirectional TX mode I do the following:

1) Set RCC->APB2ENR to 1 on bits 12 and 0 to enable the SPI1 clock and enable the SPI.
2) Fill a structure typedef'ed by SPI_InitTypeDef i.e. master, 16 bits, TX only, etc.
3) SPI_Init(SPI1, &SPI_typedef);
4) SPI_Cmd(SPI1, ENABLE);
5) Reset a GPIO line low for the software controlled slave select
6) SPI_I2S_SendData(SPI1, (u16)(MyOutputData));
7) while (SPI_I2S_GetFlagStatus(SPI1, SPI_I2S_FLAG_TXE)==RESET); //wait for TXE = 1
8) Set the GPIO line back high for the software controlled slave select.
9) SPI_Cmd(SPI1, DISABLE);

Now everything seems fine except for the fact that when I look at the SCLK versus the GPIO slave select on a scope, I see that the slave select goes back high before the SCLK finishes the transaction.  I thought that by waiting for TXE to become set, the software slave select would only be able to go back high after the transaction was completed?  What am I missing?  In order to get things to look right, I have to insert a short software delay before retting the slave select back high.

B) In unidirectional RX mode I do the following:

1) Set RCC->APB2ENR to 1 on bits 12 and 0 to enable the SPI1 clock and enable the SPI.
2) Fill a structure typedef'ed by SPI_InitTypeDef.  16 bits, RX only, etc
3) SPI_Init(SPI1, &SPI_typedef);
4) Reset a GPIO line low for the software controlled slave select
5) SPI_Cmd(SPI1, ENABLE);
6) while (SPI_I2S_GetFlagStatus(SPI1, SPI_I2S_FLAG_RXNE)==SET);
7) MyInData = SPI_I2S_ReceiveData(SPI1));
8) Set the GPIO line high for the software controlled slave select
SPI_Cmd(SPI1, DISABLE);

Now in this case, several odd things are happening.  Again the slave select is going high before the transaction is complete.  But the main issue is that I have set SPI_InitTypeDef.SPI_DataSize = SPI_DataSize_16b so I'm expecting there to be only 16 clocks in the transaction.  But instead I'm seeing 48 clocks.  Why is that happening?

Thanks!

Outcomes