AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to fully customize Virtual Com Port? (USB driver "STMicroelectronics Virtual COM Port")?

Question asked by bil.til on Jan 22, 2012
Latest reply on Sep 23, 2013 by Amel N
Hi,
I am just trying to fully customize the USB CDC example / Virtual comport.

I changed the USBD_PRODUCT... string and USBD_MANUFACTURER_STRING in usbd_desc.c.

I also copied STMCDC.INF to a TEST.INF, and in the TEST.INF, I changed the two strings at the end of the file (STM="STMicroelectronics" changed to STM="MyName" and DESCRIPTION="MyName COM Port").

If I connect the device, it still connects as "STMicroelectronics Virtual COM Port (COM...)". I am really puzzled - this text string "STMicroelectronics Virtual COM Port" is neither anywhere in my firmware, nor in the inf file. Where does it come from?

I also deleted all key from the registry, and anyway when I reconnect, it will appear with this name. I assumed STM is just citing the standard CDC Microsoft driver in the INF file, or am I missing something?

Further I am somehow not allowed to change the VID or PID number in the usbd_desc.c (and of course also in my Test.Inf to the same value). If I do this, then the connect will fail - this is very strange, from other USB controller examples, I am used that I can modify VID and PID in the firmware, and then also in the INF file, and all will work again.

Outcomes