AnsweredAssumed Answered

Atollic TrueSTUDIO Lite: Is this a misprint?

Question asked by n..frank on Oct 9, 2011
Latest reply on Jan 10, 2012 by leppie
Hello everybody,

Potential new user of ST chips here, feeling somewhat silly for asking this. However: Is the information provided by Atollic in their feature comparison document, v2.2, accurate? I am in particular referring to the number of code breakpoints supported, stated as being One (yes, 0x01). Surely this must be a mistake?

My reason for asking is that some time ago I started development on an educational/hobbyist application, which - if successful - will eventually be released to the world as open source code. Originally I had started on the PIC32MX platform, yet some kind soul suggested I changed that decision in time, lest I get locked into the products from a single manufacturer. Additionally I was informed that the other manufacturers were also keen on getting hobbyists to use their evaluation boards, once they saw the success of projects like Arduino (made possible in part due to AVR Studio).

However right now I am worried someone has been pulling my leg, and that I may just be making embarrassing noises/wasting your collective time. As far as I can tell, nobody makes a freely available tool chain for any of their Cortex M3 or M4 MCUs, which allow full development of code. All the toolchains have more or less ridiculous restrictions applied, never mind the advanced code management features of the professional packages. I mean, *one* breakpoint?!

Somebody please tell me I am wrong.

Kind regards from Denmark.

Frank.

Outcomes