AnsweredAssumed Answered

Making the STM32 platform more accessible for beginner and experienced developers alike

Question asked by halherta on Jul 29, 2011
Latest reply on Jul 31, 2011 by Clive One
First I would like to say that I'm very impressed with what ST Micro is doing with the STM32 cortex-m3 Microcontroller products. From the introduction of the low cost ST-LINK programming and debugging tool to availability of free third party IDE's, the availiability of  Firmware and DSP Libraries and decent reference manuals and most important of all the ultra low cost Discovery boards . These things have made the STM32 platform very accessible. 

One thing that ST could do to make the STM32 even more accessible to aspiring embedded systems programmers and experienced firmware developers is to publish app-notes on how the peripheral library maps to the actual Peripheral hardware with possibly mini tutorials on how to setup each peripheral using the library's API (similar to those published by Energy Micro for its EFM32 product line.). Yes I realize that many examples do exist but they are not well documented. Besides, going through a bunch of examples is not enough on its own, as it does not  further the  understanding of how the code Library maps to the hardware. Nor does it explicitly outline how to setup a particular peripheral to perform a particular task.    

This would go a long way to curb the learning curve associated with learning the STM32 microcontroller family and ultimately make the STM32 platform very attractive and enjoyable for beginners as well as allow experienced embedded programmers to reduce their time to market. 

Outcomes