AnsweredAssumed Answered

ST-Link Connection Causes NUCLEO-F411RE Demonstration to Fail When Reading SD Card

Question asked by wityshyn.dale on Apr 6, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 8, 2016 by wityshyn.dale
I encountered this problem while trying to run the demonstration firmware under the debugger.

I am running the Demonstration firmware on the NUCLEO-F411RE board with the Adafruit 1.8" TFT Shield attached.

I have two of each board and have pretty much ruled out bad hardware.

I checked the datasheet for the MCU and there is a warning in the SPI section about a potential conflict with the SWD/JTAG ports and certain pins.

I have thoroughly checked the documentation for the NUCLEO board and the Shield and the pins used for the debug interfaces don't appear to be relevant to this hardware configuration.

The following steps consistently demonstrate the failure:

1. Connect the USB cable to the NUCLEO board.

2. The demo application launches and runs correctly (the images on the SD card are displayed)

3. Launch the STM32 ST-LINK Utility. Press the connect button, once connected, press the disconnect button.

4 The demo application again launches but displays "Open directory fails." when it tries to access the SD card.

5. Press the reset button, same failure as in step 4.

6. Disconnect and reconnect the USB cable and the application again runs correctly.

I have also tried the demonstration from different versions of the firmware (v1.4 and v1.10).

Since neither the hardware nor the code were developed by me, I am wondering if it would be appropriate to attempt to go directly to ST for support.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on what the issue may be or what to try next, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Dale.

Outcomes