AnsweredAssumed Answered

From mbed to offline IDE

Question asked by Aliaga.David on Apr 5, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 5, 2016 by dembek.radoslaw.001
Hello.
I would like to ask a question that might sound very basic almost silly to you, so my apologies.

I am now programming a STM32F091 Nucleo board using mbed. (since it says "mbed enabled" and mbed is easy to learn). I have done several projects already.. (SPI, Touch panel, LCDs, Stepper motor control etc)

However I would like to try and program it using an offline IDE. I have no idea where to start but reading some resources I learned that I can use eclipse and GCC .

My first and main question is: If I do succeed in programming it (with Eclipse and flashing it with the ST-LINK utility - or stlink in my mac) can I go back and program it with mbed again? 
I know it might sound silly but I am afraid I might erase some kind of bootloader or something and later wont be able to reprogram it with mbed (I only have one nucleo and I need to show my work to my supervisor so I cant risk it)

I would appreciate a reply on this.

Other than that I have the following questions

-I read Here that you can program a STM32 with visual studio... is this so?? This is the first time I heard something like this  (since so far I have heard only of IAR and Keil etc)

-Can someone tell me of a good book, tutorial or resource to learn how to program the STM32 nucleo (or other STM32 processor). So far of what I have read, it seems that the learning curve is much much steep than say mbed -which if you know C++ you can master easily)

Thanks again for any help you can give me

Outcomes