AnsweredAssumed Answered

STM32Cube CDC - problems and a possible bug

Question asked by piovanelli.matteo on Mar 22, 2014
Latest reply on Mar 27, 2014 by bs
Hello.

I am currently trying to build a project using the STM32F429 iDisco.

The toolchain I am using is the arm embedded gcc, under Eclipse IDE.

I am trying to use STM32Cube to write the initialization part for me. Initially I want to use CDC to loopback data sent from a pc (host) to the board (device). Later I want to implement communication between pc and board to control sensors.

I'm fiddling with the various callbacks that Cube puts in usbd_conf.c.

Since my first problem is the fact that the host pc cannot recognize the connected board (Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) A request for the USB device descriptor failed.) I am playing with HAL_PCD_ConnectCallback, but I am not sure what I should be doing there. I tried opening a bunch of endpoints (with HAL_PCD_EP_Open()), but to no avail.
Using the board's LEDs to give me output depending on the device state, tells me that after initialization the device is in USBD_STATE_DEFAULT, but after a while (as soon as Windows enumerates it and cannot find its descriptor) it goes in USB_STATE_SUSPENDED.

While playing around with my code I also found something that looked kinda odd. In stm32f4xx_hal_pcd.c, in the function HAL_StatusTypeDef HAL_PCD_Init(PCD_HandleTypeDef *hpcd), from line 163:
for (i = 0; i < 15 ; i++)
 {
   hpcd->OUT_ep[i].is_in = 0;
   hpcd->OUT_ep[i].num = i;
   hpcd->IN_ep[i].tx_fifo_num = i; //<<< THIS LOOKS ODD
   /* Control until ep is activated */
   hpcd->OUT_ep[i].type = EP_TYPE_CTRL;
   hpcd->OUT_ep[i].maxpacket = 0;
   hpcd->OUT_ep[i].xfer_buff = 0;
   hpcd->OUT_ep[i].xfer_len = 0;

hpcd->Instance->DIEPTXF[i] = 0;
 }
Line 167 (the third instruction in the for loop) looks out of place to me.

Can anyone tell me what should I write, and where, to implement this loopback?
Ideally, the result of this step in my project would be that the board can receive data from a terminal and loop it back, like I did with a VCP code I downloaded recently.

Also, can anyone confirm that that line is correct as it is?

Thanks,
Matteo

Outcomes