AnsweredAssumed Answered

Power up the stm32f4 discovery with bare minimum components

Question asked by mccarty.michael on Nov 11, 2013
Latest reply on Nov 12, 2013 by Clive One
I have fried 2 of my 3 stm32F4 discovery boards. Before I even touch the third one I want to understand more about the power subsystem in these devices.

I've been reading the datasheets (for the chip, the ref manual and the discovery). They stay
The device requires a 1.8-to-3.6 V operating voltage supply (V DD ). An embedded linear
voltage regulator is used to supply the internal 1.2 V digital power.

So that makes me think I can simply wire up 3.3v to the Vdd line and the chip will start working ? Is that a correct assumption ?

I'm pretty sure what I did to my existing boards was destroy U1 (3.0 ldo regulator). I've ordered some replacement parts for U1. Theoretically if I only burnt up that component I could connect 3.0v to the 3V pin on the board and it should start right ?

I'm not sure but I think what happened was I connected 8v to the 5v line and burnt up U1. U1 does not output 3.0v as it should but more like .6v. And I did see smoke.

So If I want to salvage the f4 on my board and simply power it up then program it via another stlink anyone have any ideas ? Done this before ?

Thanks !

Outcomes