cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over Current on STM32 board

Mohamed_Smaili
Associate II

Dear Friends,

I've faced an issue with multiple STM32 boards. Despite powering them via a USB cable from my PC, three boards have suffered damage due to overcurrent. Specifically, the overcurrent LED begins blinking before burning out. Any thoughts on what could be triggering this problem?

Best Regards,

Mohamed Smaili

7 REPLIES 7
Andrew Neil
Evangelist II

@Mohamed_Smaili wrote:

I've faced an issue with multiple STM32 boards.

What boards, exactly?

What, exactly, got "burned out"?

And what were you doing at the times these over currents occurred?

ONadr.1
Senior III
Too little information for any conclusion, but probably too high voltage on some pin that was brought in from outside. This is the most common cause of similar burnouts.

Mohamed_Smaili
Associate II

The NUCLEO boards I've been using are the NUCLEO-F756ZG and NUCLEO-G071RB, each assigned to a different task. For instance, I've been utilizing the NUCLEO-G071RB with the BMS L9961, which is integrated into the board (STEVAL-L9961 board). This setup allows me to monitor the voltage and currents of the battery cells. However, after some time, I noticed that the overcurrent LED illuminated, and both the ST-Link chip and the STM chip began to heat up.

Still lacking detail.

Are you saying that the " burn out" is happening on the STEVAL-L9961 Battery Management board ?

Again, what, exactly, gets "burned out"?

And what were you doing at the times these over currents occurred?

@Mohamed_Smaili wrote:

the battery cells. 

What battery cells?

Mohamed_Smaili
Associate II

I was using 18650 lithium ion batteries, these batteries were connected to BMS in order to monitor their voltage. To be more precise, sorry my bad nothing burned out but there was a short circuit on the nucleo board  between VDD pin and GND.

@Mohamed_Smaili wrote:

there was a short circuit on the nucleo board  between VDD pin and GND.

So fix that !

Did anything get power from the batteries or were they just connected? If so, how was it wired? Was the short on the MCU or BMS board? If you want advice, please describe your problem in detail, otherwise it's guessing from a crystal ball.