cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to implement the below OV5678 image sensor to STM32L496AG

suman_99
Associate II

I want to know if the OV5678 image sensor will support STM32L496AG.?

https://www.ovt.com/products/ov5678/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Yes, I know, you've already discussed this in this thread. But it doesn't significantly change the amount of image data that needs to be processed. With frame rates of 30fps or more, you will hardly be successful with the STM32L496AG.

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Well, you probably meant the other way round, i.e. whether the STM32L496AG supports the OV5678 image sensor, right?

However, the sensor OV5678 has a MIPI interface, but the STM32L496AG does not, so it can't work without an interface in between. But even with an interface, i.e. a converter from MIPI-CSI to whatever, the STM32L496 cannot process it, because you get a data stream of 2592x1944 px x 10bit x 30fps = 1.722Gbps. For such fat data streams you need a powerful MPU such as STM32MP1.

Hope that answers your question?

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi Peter, 

Thanks for the reply, but, actually, we are looking for a 5MP RGB-IR digital camera that supports STM32L496AG with parallel communication.

Regards,
/suman
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Yes, I know, you've already discussed this in this thread. But it doesn't significantly change the amount of image data that needs to be processed. With frame rates of 30fps or more, you will hardly be successful with the STM32L496AG.

Regards
/Peter