cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F730 flash PSIZE vs. Supply voltage

RMcCa
Senior II

I am a bit confused by the language in the F7 reference manual, section 3.3.5 (RM0431) that describes the flash program/erase parallelism. Does the power supply limit the maximum value of the parallelism or does it limit one to a particular size?

The caption for table 6 is "Table 6 provides the correct PSIZE​ values". Should it say "correct maximum PSIZE values"?

I am asking because i have been writing bytes to the flash with Vcc=3.3V and PSIZE = 0 and its been working fine for a while​, but i wonder if that's only luck and i should switch to 32bit writes. Speed is not an issue in this case.

17 REPLIES 17
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello All,

Thank you for all reported issues.

This is raised internally for correction : even for incorrect comment in the stm32f7xx_hal_flash.c and the wrong max value for 32-bit program operation.

Best Regards,

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

Pardon me for jumping in.

Does “max parallelism size�? mean “max parallelism size for given voltage"?

That's, lesser parallelisms also work at the same voltage?

And for the voltages - there is a minimal voltage for a given parallelism size?

So answer of the OP question is, it is always OK to write at PSIZE=0 ?

-- pa

I believe so.

It would probably clearer if they listed the minimum voltage for each size.​

+1

+1

Studying table 52 (pg 126) of the data sheet, it appears to take approx 10mW/byte to write to flash​, so there must be a limit to width based on the power available. This means that shorter writes than the max are OK.

That's not necessarily the only criterium, FLASH transistors are picky, the HV source and other required circuitry can be designed in a million ways, trading between dozens of requirements; and I've seen various weird and seemingly inexplicable requirements for FLASH (and EPROM) programming in the past.

JW

Thanks. This is all a result of unemployment and quarantine. ​the F7s are complicated and i can't imagine the task of ensuring the accuracy of the documentation, which could be a more important product than the chip itself.

Piranha
Chief II

This is a very good question/issue. I was going to ask it some day, but @RMcCa​ did it already. So thank you and thanks to @Imen DAHMEN for clearing it up and fixing documentation.

I can add that I also have been using byte (8-bit) writes at VDD = 3,3 V on F76x for some time in different scenarios on Discovery, Nucleo and custom boards and haven't run into any problems with that.