Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software OverCurrent Protection in Motor Control Workbench

mimho
Associate III

Hello everyone!

I got 2 questions. 

Firstly, If I am not mistaken, overcurrent protection is only done using hardware considerations, Is there any software protection in MCSDK V6.2.1?

Secondly, we want to warn the user when the current injected in the motor is approaching a specific amount. 

I tried using MC_GetPhaseCurrentAmplitudeMotor1() function but the return value is not stable at all.( According to sinusoidal waveform of the current it sounds normal, correct me if I'm wrong)

How can I obtain a more stable current in the workbench  that I can decide based on?

Your help is appreciated

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mimho
Associate III

Now, I have found my answer.

There is no software protection for the overcurrent fault in the MCSDK.

if you take samples from your current at proper intervals and apply a simple low pass filter on it, it would probably be smooth, esp. if noise and EMI on your board are your concern.

However, you even may not need the filter if your PCB is well-designed and low-power. (I tried this using NUCLEO-F303 & X-NUCLEO-IHM16)

The best way to protect  you motor from the overcurrent fault is using the hardware.

It's  more reliable, safer, and faster!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
mimho
Associate III

Now, I have found my answer.

There is no software protection for the overcurrent fault in the MCSDK.

if you take samples from your current at proper intervals and apply a simple low pass filter on it, it would probably be smooth, esp. if noise and EMI on your board are your concern.

However, you even may not need the filter if your PCB is well-designed and low-power. (I tried this using NUCLEO-F303 & X-NUCLEO-IHM16)

The best way to protect  you motor from the overcurrent fault is using the hardware.

It's  more reliable, safer, and faster!