cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Over Current Fault Constantly when Working with MCSDK

mimho
Associate III

Hello everyone

Our purpose is to design a custom board for driving a BLDC motor with these specifications:

400V,5Amps,1500RPM,5 Pole Pairs, surface-mounted  and it is going to be used in the fan application.

We designed the power stage exactly similar to STEVAL-IPM10B but a little bit more compact.

Considering a cost-effective solution we just used STM32F030R8 and were able to drive and profile the motor using ST NUCLEO-F303RET and STEVAL-IPM10B. With some changes, We substituted the f303 and f030 and it worked. So there is nothing wrong with the MCU.

To elaborate, the control stage is also similar to the NUCLEO-F030R8.

We easily connect to the board using the monitor section of the workbench, but as soon as we send the start the motor command 

We get the over Current fault (the yellow one) and the status changes to fault over. Even If We send the fault ACk command and start the motor again, Nothing changes and we get the fault again and again

I need to mention that the version of the MCSDK is 5.4.8.

What are the possible solutions for resolving the issue?

We have already reduced the cutoff frequency parameter, increased the PWM frequency, and increased the FOC execution rate.

None of them works 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

@Gael A 

@cedric H 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gael A
ST Employee

Hello mimho,

Have you tried reducing the target current at startup ? Maybe the open loop startup induces a current too high for the board to handle and this is the reason why you end up with an overcurrent as soon as you start your motor. You can find those parameters in the drive_parameters.h file of your project : PHASEX_FINAL_CURRENT.

Also, please consider upgrading your MCSDK to version 6.2.1 so we can provide a much better support.

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Gael A
ST Employee

Hello mimho,

Have you tried reducing the target current at startup ? Maybe the open loop startup induces a current too high for the board to handle and this is the reason why you end up with an overcurrent as soon as you start your motor. You can find those parameters in the drive_parameters.h file of your project : PHASEX_FINAL_CURRENT.

Also, please consider upgrading your MCSDK to version 6.2.1 so we can provide a much better support.

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.

thanks for your reply,

it actually worked!

you are such a big help to us✌️

#iR
Associate II

hey , iam using ihm07m1 and f030r8 . its showing over current before starting the motor ,i tried to change the start up parameters just as u said before , but still ☹️ . can u help me with this?

Hi #iR,

To ensure the best support from our part and by respect to other users, I recommend creating a new post for your issue, and making reference to the posts / solutions you have already checked or tested. That way, the original poster doesn't get pinged for an issue he already solved, and your issue will have more visibility among the other posts.

Please refer to this post concerning new post creation.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.