cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-Link V2 SWD connection by using just SW_DAT, SW_CLK and GND.

MaxC
Associate III

I have a custom board powered by using USB, if I need to program a firmware by using the SWD feature in the ST-Link V2 Probe, may I connect just following 3 pins (without VDD) ?

- TMS_SWDIO (pin 7)

- TCK_SWCLK (pin 9)

- GND

Do I need also to connect VDD to the custom board even if the board is powered by USB ?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
KnarfB
Principal III

Yes, these 3 wires will do. No need to connect VDD. On a real ST-LINK this is meant to be an input for detecting/measuring board voltage and/or connecting a level converter for 1.8V etc..

hth

KnarfB

MaxC
Associate III

Hello KnarfB,

thank you for the feedback

Just to put a detail: we are using a ST-LINK/V2-ISOL probe device.

We are using that 3 pins but the probe doesn't Connect to the board, the STM32CubeProgrammed issues an Error. This why I made that question, in order to be sure we don't need other pins.

Regards

Max

KnarfB
Principal III

Haven't used the ISOL, but it make sense that VDD is needed to feed the board side of the isolated coupler, Hmm. Not sure, and don't have schematics, sorry.

hth

KnarfB

MaxC
Associate III
Hello KnarfB,
I tested the Connection by using a standard ST-Link V2 Probe without success. The issue is the same.
Regards
Max
Get Outlook for Android
KnarfB
Principal III

What chip, what software? Did it/something work ever before? Do you have a known good similar board like Nucelo or DK? Is the flash programmed?

On the authentic ST-LINK/V2 the VDD on Pin 1 (VTarget) is used to power voltage appropriate buffers

Connecting NRST is also recommended as it permits "Connect Under Reset" to work, allowing the ST-LINK to gain control of the MCU quickly/effectively, and in situations where user code may disrupt the mode/function of SWDIO/SWCLK.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..