cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STSW-WPSTUDIO GUI cannot connect to ST Wireless Charging board

Joshua1
Associate II

Hello,

I purchased a set of Wireless charging evaluation boards (RX & TX) on Mouser.com for $160.

The 2 board names are STEVAL-WBC86TX and STEVAL-WLC38RX.

I use STSW-WPSTUDIO V1.8.4 software to try to connect to the board from my PC and get access to the register setting. But every time I click on the Connect button, there is the same error message appearing:

"Unable to find any [RX]WLC38 device. Please check your connection again."

The issue is the same with both boards.

But it seems the boards are working, because when I place STWLC38 on top of STWBC86, the boards are charging, because I can see the red LED on the receiver board, and Vout is 5V.

So the main issue is the GUI.

I cannot use the ST GUI to connect to any of the ST boards that I paid $200 for ! (with shipping + fee cost)

My computer is Windows 11. And the board is properly connected through a USB-A to USB-C cable.

I followed the steps from the user manual. The 2nd USB-C connector of STWBC86 is connected to 100W USB-C adapter. So the boards are powered on, because I can see the LED turned on. I tried with other USB cables, and it is still the same issue.

And I didn't install any USB driver on Windows because I didn't see mentioned anywhere the requirement to install a driver to use this board.

Do I need to install a USB driver ?

• GUI Error message with STWBC86 evaluation board:

"Unable to find any [TX]WBC86 device. Please check your connection again."

STWBC86 GUI connection issueSTWBC86 GUI connection issue

• GUI Error message with STWLC38 evaluation board:

"Unable to find any [RX]WLC38 device. Please check your connection again."

STWLC38 GUI connection issueSTWLC38 GUI connection issue

I don’t understand why there is such critical issue with new boards right out of the box ??

I have used STM32CubeProgrammer in the past to connect to a low cost $10 STM32 Nucleo board, and I never faced any USB connectivity issue. It was simple as plug and play.

What needs to be done for WPSTUDIO to detect that the computer is attached to the $160 Wireless boards ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Joshua1  @sjones  @GRB 

We have confirmed this version GUI is dependent on “Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 X86 Redistributable Package” .

willzhou_0-1713868708231.png

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
willzhou
ST Employee

Hi Sir

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Can i confirm you connect the right USB/GUI/J3 one?

Also please try set  RX WLC38 and try again.

We have update GUI tool ,please use this one. 

https://github.com/STwirelesscharger/STSW-WPSTUDIO/blob/main/STSW-WPSTUDIO%20V2.1.0.exe

willzhou_0-1712803198261.png

Also can you share your LOG information to me?

willzhou_0-1712803676482.png

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello Sir,

I tested WPSTUDIO version 2.1.0, but there is no LOG available in this version !!
So how are we supposed to see the full error messages ?

STSW-WPSTUDIO_v2.1.0 still buggySTSW-WPSTUDIO_v2.1.0 still buggy

And I don't see any release notes for the software you provided.
So which bugs are fixed in v2.1.0 ? Is it supposed to fix the USB connection issue ?

Thanks

Hi

Sorry for the inconvenience

I have test in several computer and this tool can be used and log can be seen.

Can you test in other computer .

sjones
Associate II

I am also having the same problem, tried on two different computers and versions 2.1.0 and 2.2.5.
The error in the log file is:

,{"Type":3,"Date":"2024-04-19","Time":"04:34:11.573 PM","ThreadId":"9","Message":"Error during enumeration for HidDongleMaster: Unable to load DLL 'HidDongle.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)","TypeToView":"ERROR"},

GRB
Associate II

I am also having the same problem, tried on three different computers with  versions 2.1.0 and 2.2.5. I had two transmitter and two receiver eval boards. It was working at first but one by one they quit connecting. There is definitely an issue with the hardware for no known reason. 

GRB
Associate II

@ STM - How do I get replacement boards?

It seem your computer can not load this dongle driver, please google ft260 driver to install again.

Hi 

please share gui log and check it is dongle issues, Or use GUI connect select "Empty" item to try it.

willzhou
ST Employee

please careful about use dongle, protect from ESD, Also i recommed you to buy ft260 dongle. 

If you volume > 10k i can contract local FAE to support you.

Also we have wireless power solution 50W and 70W in this website link

STWLC - Products - Search STMicrocontrollers