cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

L7987L problems

RGais.1
Associate

Hello!

I use L7987L DC-DC as step-down regulator with input voltage range 9-60V. output 5V , 2A max.

Online design offers schematic i use (see image).

I have a trouble with dc-dc stability with IC.

With some input voltage and loads It is instable. With load less than 100 - 150 mA and loads with more than 1.5 - 2 Amperes. Somtimes with 100 - 150 mA output voltage drops to 0 and regulator can't normaly start while input voltage less than 17-18 volts. Rarely with 1.5 - 2 A load i have big sin wawe pulses in output voltage 

Is schematic correct?

1 REPLY 1
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Essentially the values of your circuit correspond to those calculated with eDesignSuite. However, with Vin = max 60V for D1 you should choose a Schottky diode that has a VWRM or VRRM higher than 60V and thus offers some margin. The eDesignSuite also suggests a 100V Schottky to have a margin in case of any spikes on the input voltage line.

The stability of switching regulators like this buck converter depends not only on the components used, but also very much on the layout. Can you please share a picture of your design?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.