cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the LIS3MDL 3-Axis Magnetometer suitable for my application?

OSell.1
Associate II

Hi,

I am looking into using the LIS3MDL 3-Axis Magnetometer in an application with high frequency oscillating magnetic fields. I have looked through the datasheet of the LIS3MDL and it seems to meet most requirements that I've checked. My application has a magnetic flux density of .23 Gauss which is in the magnetometers range. The 16 bit output will provide sufficient precision as well. The frequency of oscillation of the magnetic field is 35kHz which is my primary concern.

I saw some values for the Clock speed using SPI and I2C Communication Protocols however I need help to know if these will correlate to a sufficient ADC to accurately sample the field. And Likewise what would be your suggestion for an alternative if the LIS3MDL isn't suitable for my application.

Thanks a ton in advance,

Orlando

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi Orlando @OSell.1​ ,

Usually, the magnetometer sensors are optimized for the measure of static, or slowly varying, magnetic fields.

The internal ADC clock (5MHz) allows, in theory, to reach the 35kHz, but the bandwidth is heavily limited by the Output Data Rate (ODR), which limits the maximum frequency to ODR/2.

Consider that the maximum ODR in fast mode for the LIS3MDL is defined in the table below:

0693W00000JNiCmQAL.pngSo, the max ODR in LP mode is 1kHz, and the maximum sampling frequency is 500Hz.

There is one other solution in ST magnetometer portfolio (LIS2MDL and LSM303AGR), but they run both at lower ODRs.

If my reply answered your question, please click on Select as Best at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster.

-Eleon

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi Orlando @OSell.1​ ,

Usually, the magnetometer sensors are optimized for the measure of static, or slowly varying, magnetic fields.

The internal ADC clock (5MHz) allows, in theory, to reach the 35kHz, but the bandwidth is heavily limited by the Output Data Rate (ODR), which limits the maximum frequency to ODR/2.

Consider that the maximum ODR in fast mode for the LIS3MDL is defined in the table below:

0693W00000JNiCmQAL.pngSo, the max ODR in LP mode is 1kHz, and the maximum sampling frequency is 500Hz.

There is one other solution in ST magnetometer portfolio (LIS2MDL and LSM303AGR), but they run both at lower ODRs.

If my reply answered your question, please click on Select as Best at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster.

-Eleon