cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IIS2DH Z-axis not changing - stuck in mid value

PJaco.11
Associate

I trying to find a solution as to why the Z-axis on the accelerometer is not responding. It is "stuck" at 0x80 for both high and low value. X- and Y-axis both work as they should. I can disable the Z-axis and it goes to 0x0. I set block update, the 3 axis, 100Hz ODR and 2G. I have tried reading the output from Z individually and in block update, it is always 0x80. All the registers/features I do not use are at default values. I even swapped the device with a new one... still no change. I do not know what else I can try :tired_face:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PJaco.11
Associate

Hi Eleon,

Thank you for the reply. I have worked through the app note and have found my issue...

It seems I set my hot air station to hot and my solder technique has gotten worse! I would resolder the new device at about +-350C and lightly push down right in the middle of the component with a needle nose tweezer to ensure solder makes good contact before waiting for everything to cool down and then use it. After I dropped the temp of the hot air to 280C (which makes it effectively heat the board to 260C) and again lightly pushed down on the component but with a flat tool, I managed to seat it properly and had the Z-axis work. I can kick myself for this one... :expressionless_face:

:face_with_tears_of_joy: :face_with_tears_of_joy: :face_with_tears_of_joy:

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @Community member​ ,

the Z-axis should behave in the same way as the other 3 axis.

The fact that two different devices behave in the same way is quite suspicious...

Did you read back the CTRL_REG1 (20h) to check if the Zen is still enabled? Are you decoding the registers in the correct way?

In order to check if the device is working properly, you could run a self test and check the results. The procedure is described for example in the AN3308 application note, p.57, and you can also refer to the self-test code for LIS2DH lis2dh_self_test.c.

-Eleon

PJaco.11
Associate

Hi Eleon,

Thank you for the reply. I have worked through the app note and have found my issue...

It seems I set my hot air station to hot and my solder technique has gotten worse! I would resolder the new device at about +-350C and lightly push down right in the middle of the component with a needle nose tweezer to ensure solder makes good contact before waiting for everything to cool down and then use it. After I dropped the temp of the hot air to 280C (which makes it effectively heat the board to 260C) and again lightly pushed down on the component but with a flat tool, I managed to seat it properly and had the Z-axis work. I can kick myself for this one... :expressionless_face:

:face_with_tears_of_joy: :face_with_tears_of_joy: :face_with_tears_of_joy:

That's good @Community member​ , thank you for the update and glad you solved the issue!

But please don't kick yourself :beaming_face_with_smiling_eyes:

-Eleon