cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to calculate the Power consumption in Sensortile.Box . Is there is any document or tool for analysing the present consumption rate and the areas to be optimised. I am planning to develop my own hardware.

Snara.21
Senior

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @Snara.2​ ,

The power consumption of a board depends upon the firmware that is running. This affects the current that flows from the rechargeable Lithium-ion battery (3.6V).

SensorTile.box firmware perform an estimation of the battery level (that is displayed in the STBLE app homepage), but doesn't.

Since you are planning to develop your own hardware, my suggestion is that you should monitor the consumption on the general Vdd line through a shunt resistor that can be connected to the microcontroller ADC, and that gives you a measure of the real time current consumption.

You might take inspiration from the STEVAL-MKI109V3 schematic, that is a bit complex but very precise (p.4), but probably a simple shunt resistor could be enough.

If my reply answered your question, please click on Select as Best at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster. 

-Eleon

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @Snara.2​ ,

The power consumption of a board depends upon the firmware that is running. This affects the current that flows from the rechargeable Lithium-ion battery (3.6V).

SensorTile.box firmware perform an estimation of the battery level (that is displayed in the STBLE app homepage), but doesn't.

Since you are planning to develop your own hardware, my suggestion is that you should monitor the consumption on the general Vdd line through a shunt resistor that can be connected to the microcontroller ADC, and that gives you a measure of the real time current consumption.

You might take inspiration from the STEVAL-MKI109V3 schematic, that is a bit complex but very precise (p.4), but probably a simple shunt resistor could be enough.

If my reply answered your question, please click on Select as Best at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster. 

-Eleon