cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L1X minimum time to to scan from standby

Tcodd.1
Associate II

I apologize I have not read ALL of the related documentation but have read enough to feel it may be hard to resolve this question:

I would like to employ the VL53L1X to detect object flow, i.e. people, however as someone has already point out it requires continual scanning, hence consuming more power than a cordless/battery can provide over long period. So, I would like to use some other mechanism to detect a person in the area, e.g. sound, PIR, etc and then start scanning for flow from one zone to next. I have read about "hw standby" and "sw standby", as well as boot. But it's unclear the minimum duration of these and how they effect ability to start scanning and trying to determine flow. So...

1) What is the the use/interpretation/timing of the HW standby?

2) What is the minimum time to first scan (i.e. ranging of the in zone or out zone early enough to catch direction of low) when power is already applied, but XShut is used to "wake up" and start scan?

3) What is the minimum time to first scan when XShut/Power is coupled/same?

I understand that the speed of the object affects how long the scans are performed and before the device removed in 2) or 3).

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for your time.

1 REPLY 1
Julien NGUYEN
ST Employee

Hi,

You may use the VL53L1X in the threshold detection mode and put your microcontroller in the sleeping mode and wakeup the microcontroller by interruption when the distance threshold is reached ?

To determine the time to first scan, you can add a time stamp before and after?

The speed of the object should not affect the scanning speed.

The scanning speed is determined by its timing budget mainly.

The scanning period is fixed by the intermeasurement period.

Thanks

Julien

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.