cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L1X Duribility

Brettjohnson7191
Associate

I have been testing with the VL53L1X TOF sensor and am curious on the durability of the sensor in rugged environments. Such places would look like an industrial environment where vibration and impacts in inevitable. The sensor PCB would be potted and fully enclosed in a containment box. However, an opinion by others on how it would fare would be greatly appreciated. I know the data sheet shows shock as being an issue. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

The easy way to express our durability is to brag that we have sold over 2 Billion VCSEL-based sensors with the vast majority going into the cell-phone markets. I don't think too many electronics devices get dropped as often as cell-phones do. 

We did do some Failure-in-Time analysis, but I don't think the statistics work out very well unless you have at least one failure when you over-heat and over-voltage the parts and run thousands of them for weeks and weeks.

We got no failures and the result of the analysis came out to several thousand years, and that's crazy. 

Unless someone's life is at stake, I wouldn't worry about it.

- john

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

The easy way to express our durability is to brag that we have sold over 2 Billion VCSEL-based sensors with the vast majority going into the cell-phone markets. I don't think too many electronics devices get dropped as often as cell-phones do. 

We did do some Failure-in-Time analysis, but I don't think the statistics work out very well unless you have at least one failure when you over-heat and over-voltage the parts and run thousands of them for weeks and weeks.

We got no failures and the result of the analysis came out to several thousand years, and that's crazy. 

Unless someone's life is at stake, I wouldn't worry about it.

- john

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.