cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can VL53L1X stand 3v3 when mounted to a custom pcb.. upfront w/o any 1v8 to 2v8 programming before hand?

TJose.2
Associate

Have a question about VL53L1X

In the vl53l1x.pdf, it says on page 23/35 that

"

The default driver mode is 1V8. 2V8 mode is programmable using device settings loaded by the driver. For more details please refer to the VL53L1X API user manual (UM2356)

"

Want to know if the tof sensor, P/N, VL53L1CXV0FY/1 can be integrated to a custom board operating at 3v3.

VL53L1CXV0FY/1 has operating voltage range of 2v8 to 3v6 per the manual. My intention is to use it in a single power supply, 3v3.

What confuses me,is that,the VL53L1CXV0FY/1 has a profile set for 1v8 out of the factory, if I understand it correctly. 2v8 is programmable that support 3v3, but how?

Do I have to re-flow VL53L1CXV0FY/1 firstly to a custom PCB & program it to 2v8, before re-flow it on to the final PCB, that has only 3v3 ? I could not find any more insight in UM2356.

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

3v3 works just fine - no issues.

The point is that the I2C can use one of two voltages - 1.8 or 2.8.

In the software there is a write during initialization allowing you to choose the I2C voltage.

But how can you write an I2C regsiter - using I2C that controls the I2C voltage?

Turns out the system is really forgiving, and making that setting correct for you system just makes the I2C more robust. (And let's face it - I2C can use all the robustness it can get. It's not a very forgiving bus.)

• john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.