cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stm32wb55cc code licensing

dungeonlords789
Senior III

Hello. I create new empty project for stm32wb55CC in CubeIDE 1.6.1 with pack 1.11.0. main.c contains

/* USER CODE BEGIN Header */
/**
  ******************************************************************************
  * @file           : main.c
  * @brief          : Main program body
  * @attention
  * <h2><center>&copy; Copyright (c) 2021 STMicroelectronics.
  * All rights reserved.</center></h2>
  * This software component is licensed by ST under BSD 3-Clause license,
  * the "License"; You may not use this file except in compliance with the
  * License. You may obtain a copy of the License at:
  *                        opensource.org/licenses/BSD-3-Clause
  */
/* USER CODE END Header */

Now I enable BLE and regenerate code. main.c contains still contains the same lisensing. I delete USER CODE BEGIN Header and main.c contains

/* USER CODE BEGIN Header */
/**
  * @file           : main.c
  * @brief          : Main program body
  * @attention
  * <h2><center>&copy; Copyright (c) 2021 STMicroelectronics.
  * All rights reserved.</center></h2>
  * This software component is licensed by ST under Ultimate Liberty license
  * SLA0044, the "License"; You may not use this file except in compliance with
  * the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at:
  *                             www.st.com/SLA0044
  */
/* USER CODE END Header */

Please suggest which licensing you use!

@mattias norlander​ 

P.S. Look also

3 REPLIES 3
mattias norlander
ST Employee

Not an expert on licenses, but I looked into this a bit. I agree it looks strange on the surface that enabling BLE all of a sudden modifies the licensing of main.c in the header. That said I think it is correct, here is the rationale:

CubeFW packages in general is provided under SLA0048 which is an ST global package license. That said, terms can be superseded by specific licenses on component-level inside the package, such as the BLE component...

As an example HAL is under BSD-3 and in this case the STM32_SPAWN middleware (including BLE) is under SLA0044.

Assuming you use both HAL and BLE in your product, you have to review both licenses (and maybe additional licenses depending on which components you include).

So my unfortunate suggestion is use both licenses 😉

No, ​enabling BLE all of a sudden doesn't modifies the licensing of main.c in the header. I need enable BLE and delete header, only in this case thelicensing will changed.

@mattias norlander​ what do you think?