cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Range of the NFC03A1 card reader expansion board

MathieuTeissedre
Associate

I use passive RFID tag with NFC03A1 card reader, I have create a little program to detect RFID tag, the range is up to 5 centimeters. Is there a way or a configuration to increase this range ?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi Mathieu,

the read range depends on many factors:

• tag technology (i.e. ISO/IEC 15693 tags are designed to have a greater read distance than ISO/IEC 14443 tags)
  • antenna size (tag and reader)
  • etc.

On my X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1, depending on the tag, I can achieve the following read ranges

• 3.2 cm and up to 5.2 cm for ISO14443 tags
  • 4.6 cm and up to 9.2 cm for ISO15693 tags

Tag antenna having credit card size generally provides better read range than small button size antenna.

You can also consider using ST25R3916 reader (X-NUCLEO-NFC06A1) that will provide better read distances than ST25R95 (X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1).

Feel free to share more information about your application (in private or on this forum) so that we can provide more accurate support.

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi Mathieu,

the read range depends on many factors:

• tag technology (i.e. ISO/IEC 15693 tags are designed to have a greater read distance than ISO/IEC 14443 tags)
  • antenna size (tag and reader)
  • etc.

On my X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1, depending on the tag, I can achieve the following read ranges

• 3.2 cm and up to 5.2 cm for ISO14443 tags
  • 4.6 cm and up to 9.2 cm for ISO15693 tags

Tag antenna having credit card size generally provides better read range than small button size antenna.

You can also consider using ST25R3916 reader (X-NUCLEO-NFC06A1) that will provide better read distances than ST25R95 (X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1).

Feel free to share more information about your application (in private or on this forum) so that we can provide more accurate support.

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
MathieuTeissedre
Associate

I have planned to use sticker tags (can be ISO1443 or 15693). If i decide to use X-NUCLEO-NFC06A1 with ISO15693 sticker tags, what would be the detection range ?

Thank you in advance.

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi Mathieu

difficult to provide an answer without testing with you sticker tag.

Can you share more information about your application? As the reading distance seems to be a key point, you should maybe consider UHF technology (e.g ST25RU3993 UHF Reader) for your application.

Rgds

BT

Hi,

for reference using X-NUCLEO-NFC06 against ST25TV-eSEAL I am getting around 11.5cm.

Regards, Ulysses