cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"No STM32 target found" on consumer device

Jonah
Associate II

I'm trying to use a ST-LINKv2 to re-program a consumer device that I know has an STM32 of some kind inside (fairly sure it's a STM32L-something). I found four headers on the board that a continuity tester has shown to be Vdd, Vcc, SCLK, and SWDIO.

Connecting with only those 4 wires did not allow STM32CubeProgrammer to connect to the device. It gives the message "No STM32 target found!". Same with the ST-Link Utility. So I next tried tying boot0 high (w/ and w/out a 1k resistor). I have confirmed that this prevents the device's normal program from starting. Connection still fails. I then tried connecting NRST to the ST-LINK so that it could control hardware-reset. I can verify that trying to connect to the device does reset it over NRST. But it still can't connect

Port: SWD

Frequency: 100kHz

Mode: Under reset

Reset mode: Hardware Reset

Output:

12:57:17 : ST-LINK SN  : 55FF6E066684564922161687
  12:57:17 : ST-LINK FW  : V2J37S7
  12:57:17 : Board       : --
  12:57:17 : Voltage     : 1.05V
  12:57:17 : Error: No STM32 target found!

If I increase the frequency to 4000kHz, then the error changes to: "Error: ST-LINK error (DEV_TARGET_CMD_ERR)"

I've tried so many combinations of configurations, swapped the CLK/IO pins just to be sure, updated the ST-LINK firmware, but nothing fixes the connection. Am I missing something obvious here? Is it possible that the chip is locked-down during manufacturing so that it can't be modified?

0693W000008yDk9QAE.jpg

10 REPLIES 10

>>Is it possible that the chip is locked-down during manufacturing so that it can't be modified?

Given they defaced the markings, would expect they set Read Out Protection and turned off SWD/JTAG

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Jonah
Associate II

> Given they defaced the markings

Is it normal to obfuscate chip markings on purpose during manufacturing?

> would expect they set Read Out Protection and turned off SWD/JTAG

How likely is that, and does that mean there's nothing I can do? If RDP is enabled, is it possible to still write a new program?

Jonah
Associate II

Just leaving a follow-up on this. I'm not certain yet whether the issue was with the RDP. I took the nuclear option and soldered a replacement MCU onto the board. It had the exact same problem (no target) until I found another tutorial on how to interface with bare MCUs. Video #5 in this post described how the SWCLK needs to be tied to Vcc, and SWDIO needs to be pulled to Vdd.

https://hackaday.io/project/25097-arm-microcontroller-bare-chip-tutorial-series

Adding that to the wiring setup allowed me to read from the new empty replacement.

SCLK/SWDIO are pulled up/down as needed internally, read the GPIO chapter in RM for your STM32. If external pullups/downs worked, it probably was coincidental or it masked some other problems. Long flying leads are often source of problems with high-speed signals, coupled with inadequate return/ground; and the breadboard is something I recommend to position strategically into the garbage pin.

JW

Jonah
Associate II

Based on your comment, I decided to to a bit more fiddling. I've found that not having a pull-down on SWCLK ground did not affect things. However, with dozens of attempts either way, it can only read when SWDIO has a pull-up resistor.

Unfortunately without fabricating a custom connector, I'm stuck with the breadboard for now. Another thing I found is that selecting any frequency besides 4000kHz prevents reading. I thought selecting a lower frequency would reduce any signal integrity issues, but it does not connect when that's changed

You can only write to an RDP2 device if there is a loader program in the device.

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

Try other debuggers, like pyocd, openocd or bl*ckma*gic hosted. They may be more verbose.

Jonah
Associate II

It seems that you are correct. I did some googling on how to use openocd, and this blog post came up indicating that the target still needs external power

http://www.rudi-horn.de/Home/7-debugging-the-stmf-with-an-st-linkv-and-openocd

This is consistent with my experimentation. If I try to connect with openocd without a resistor, it gives me this output:

~ >>> sudo openocd -f interface/stlink.cfg -f target/stm32l5x.cfg -c 'adapter speed 4000'
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.11.0
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
	http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "hla_swd". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
Info : The selected transport took over low-level target control. The results might differ compared to plain JTAG/SWD
adapter speed: 4000 kHz

Info : Listening on port 6666 for tcl connections
Info : Listening on port 4444 for telnet connections
Info : clock speed 4000 kHz
Info : STLINK V2J29S7 (API v2) VID:PID 0483:3748
Info : Target voltage: 1.419829
Error: target voltage may be too low for reliable debugging
Error: init mode failed (unable to connect to the target)

Note the warning at the bottom about the voltage (1.4v is definitely too low). It's not totally clear how a pull-up resistor on SWDIO would change that (brings it up to 2.8v according to openocd), but it does.

If I remove the pull-up resistor _but also_ touch the original batteries to the contacts, the power again comes up to almost 3v. Here's the output when it successfully connects:

~ >>> sudo openocd -f interface/stlink.cfg -f target/stm32l5x.cfg -c 'adapter speed 4000'
For bug reports, read
Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "hla_swd". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
Info : The selected transport took over low-level target control. The results might differ compared to plain JTAG/SWD
adapter speed: 4000 kHz

Info : Listening on port 6666 for tcl connections
Info : Listening on port 4444 for telnet connections
Info : clock speed 4000 kHz
Info : Target voltage: 2.981484
Info : stm32l5x.cpu: hardware has 8 breakpoints, 4 watchpoints
Info : starting gdb server for stm32l5x.cpu on 3333
Info : Listening on port 3333 for gdb connections

So it seems you're right, the pull-up is not necessary for normal operation. In fact when I provide the battery power, connecting at lower frequencies (even as low as 50) works. However, `mdb` isn't working as I would expect. I can't yet dump any flash data, but that's probably user-error. Here's what I get over telnet:

~ >>> telnet 127.0.0.1 4444                                                    
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
Open On-Chip Debugger
> mdb 0x0 64 

jtag status contains invalid mode value - communication failure
Polling target stm32l5x.cpu failed, trying to reexamine
stm32l5x.cpu: hardware has 8 breakpoints, 4 watchpoints
Previous state query failed, trying to reconnect
>

I'll post here again if I figure out how to get the flash dump to work.

Jonah
Associate II

Made progress with reading with OpenOCD. It thinks that it's reading, but it always prints out zeros, no matter where I read from. Even addresses that according to the manual (such as the device ID) are zero.

~ >>> sudo openocd -f interface/stlink.cfg -f target/stm32l5x.cfg -c 'init' -c 'mdw 0x0BFA0590 3' -c 'exit'
For bug reports, read
Info : clock speed 500 kHz
Info : Target voltage: 2.899213
Info : stm32l5x.cpu: hardware has 8 breakpoints, 4 watchpoints
Info : starting gdb server for stm32l5x.cpu on 3333
Info : Listening on port 3333 for gdb connections
0x0bfa0590: 00000000 00000000 00000000

For reference, the address there (0x0BFA0590) is taken from RM0438, section 53.1

https://www.st.com/resource/en/reference_manual/dm00346336-stm32l552xx-and-stm32l562xx-advanced-armbased-32bit-mcus-stmicroelectronics.pdf