cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enabling SWD/SWO printf() like debugging feature for stm32-f429 discovery kit?

NA Shams
Associate II

I'm totally new to stm32 and arm development, recently got my stm32-f429(ZIT6) discovery kit . I just following some tutorials, but couldn't properly enable SWO printf() like feature, i followed some ITM register enabling codes and nothing works at all.

Please someone provide me some codes , FPU settings and guides which i need to do to trace the printf result from ITM FIFO properly. Im using cube mx latest version( 1.6.0 ) IDE.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You need to bridge SB9

The debugger needs to know what speed the core's running, a mismatch in settings/reality results in "not working"

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Make sure that any Solder Bridges (SB) that provide for connectivity for SWO/PB3 pin are actually make. (SB9)

You also need to make sure both ends understand how fast the processor is running, vs the SWCLK, otherwise the baud rate setting will be wrong and you'll get no data.

https://www.st.com/resource/en/user_manual/dm00093903-discovery-kit-with-stm32f429zi-mcu-stmicroelectronics.pdf

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
NA Shams
Associate II

0693W000008y7EqQAI.jpg

I don't think that solder at SB9 could joint them together properly. Should I have to short them maually?

and for baud rate and system clock did u mean to keep both frequency at same level (MCU and St link)?0693W000008y7EqQAI.jpg

You need to bridge SB9

The debugger needs to know what speed the core's running, a mismatch in settings/reality results in "not working"

Thank you.

SUrte.1
Associate II

merhaba, probleminizi çözdünüz mü? Çözdüysen lehim köprüsü ne anlama geliyor ve nasıl yaptın, lütfen bana açıklar mısın? SB9 pininin ortası boş, oraya biraz lehim mi uygulayalım?

SUrte.1
Associate II

hello, did you solve your problem? If you solved it, what does the solder bridge mean and how did you do it, could you please explain to me? The middle of the sb9 pin is empty, do we just apply a little solder there?

If it's not bridged it surely won't work..

Bridge SB9 with a blob of solder, small wire, or zero-ohm "resistor"

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00001crLqTSAU/i-cannot-display-hello-world-on-port-0-i-have-the-stm32f429i-disc1-board

YA works