cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Flash + mass storage usb device (Firmware)

Javier1
Principal

Hello again dark electronics wizards.

I've been looking for some documentation about how to use an external flash memory with my stm32 designs.

Is there any magic way to do this? Or could anyome point me to the right way?

My goal is to add a qspi controlled flash chip instead of a sd card for my mass storage usb thing.

Many thanks in advance

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I've found eMMC to be relatively straight forward, uses mostly the same SDIO/SDMMC stack, but adds 8-bit width and DDR depending on the model.

The form factor is also consistent across manufacturers. There are socket versions used by some of the RPi clones, and also Nintendo.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

eMMC would be the way to go for speed.

QSPI NOR Flash is rather slow to erase and write, and the NAND would require a lot more block management and doesn't support execute-in-place.​

@Community member​ what about the ease of integration?, i dont want to hard code the communication protocol.

Thats why so far my best candidate is an SD card hooked on the SDIO peripheral of my stm mcu.

I've found eMMC to be relatively straight forward, uses mostly the same SDIO/SDMMC stack, but adds 8-bit width and DDR depending on the model.

The form factor is also consistent across manufacturers. There are socket versions used by some of the RPi clones, and also Nintendo.