cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to resize windows in the Debian version of STM32CubeIDE?

JayDev
Senior II

I've been using the Windows version of STM32CubeIDE for a while but had to switch to the Linux version to work with the STM32MP157A chip (since it has an MPU to work with). I am currently working with V1.6.0 on Debian.

Currently, I'm trying to organize it a bit so it's a bit more usable but I'm having trouble resizing any of the windows. It doesn't seem to allow me to make changes to, say, the divider between the project explorer and the code window. it just feels like everything is locked into place. If I detach and try and drag it to one side, it doesn't appear to "dock" correctly and, instead, just blocks other windows.

Maybe this is just because Linux doesn't work well with the interface and there's nothing that can be done but I wanted to check and see if there's a way to resize windows so it's usable. It's kind of a mess to work with right now.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

All such windows arrangment managment is pure Eclipse according to me. Not aware any issue or limitation here.

Have you got a try creating your own perspective just in case ?

Ozone
Lead

Or perhaps some issue with your window manager configuration.

I'm not a fan of CubeIDE, but I use other Eclipse-based toolchains under Mint (Debian/Ubuntu derivate), which work fine.

Yeah, it's the weirdest thing . . . never really had issues with Eclipse based software but I've always run them in Windows, not from Linux. I don't have an issue making a custom layout but if I can't resize windows, this becomes hugely problematic very quickly! Not being able to snap things in place seems odd too. I guess it's just not behaving like my past experiences with eclipse software, but I don't have this issue with the windows version.

I am running a virtualized linux image I got from a STM workshop (so it has the software installed in advance). Not sure if it could be related to that.

What's odd is that both MXCube and MXCubeIDE have the same issue . . . but if you open the System Workbench in Linux, it seems to act like you would expect Eclipse to act like. And the example has you generate the code in MxCube, then switch over to System Workbench . . . so I wonder if that's because they know how badly MxCube behaves in Linux?

Hmm, any idea how to resolve any window manager configurations? Is that a Linux related issue or software related issue?

The reason I ask is, as I mentioned in my comment to Cartu38, I'm running a virtualized linux image from STM's workshop so everything had been setup in advance. If there's an issue with the window manager (sorry, I'm somewhat new to Linux), I assume it could be related to their settings in Linux?

The odd thing is the example they showed has them generating the code in CubeMX and then running it from System Workbench. Not sure if that's because CubeMx is hard to work with in Linux? I mention that because I run the Windows version and don't seem to have any of these problems.

I don't necessarily have an issue with customizing the perspective . . . if I can easily move things around or even be able to resize the windows . . . but if I can't resize the windows, I'm not entirely sure what to do about it. I'm almost at the point where I want to set everything up in windows and then transfer it to linux to build . . . heh.