cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logins Broken By New Password Rules

Andrew Neil
Evangelist

There doesn't seem to be anywhere to post issues with the forum itself?

I couldn't login this morning - the site kept saying my password was wrong.

I know that it wasn't wrong, because I copy it from a password manager.

So I had to do a password reset.

There it became obvious that the password rules (length, upper/lower case, symbols, etc) have changed.

This really shouldn't just break existing passwords

:pouting_face:

At the very least, you should give a message like, "Our password rules have changed; you need to reset your password".

#UXFail

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I checked internally, this was implemented last week...

0693W00000AMMovQAH.png

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33

> There doesn't seem to be anywhere to post issues with the forum itself?

About->About this community

(Yes, even this is confusing, ST can't get it right for years and they don't listen either.).

JW

Good grief - that makes no sense at all!

:confounded_face:

Brian Kling
Senior III

Guys, help us to understand better your assertions please:

@Andrew Neil​ I checked internally, there has been no change to our password policies for regular community members, can you describe in more detail what you experienced?

@Community member​ and @Andrew Neil​ "there doesn't seem to be anywhere to post issues with the forum itself" and we "can't get it right for years" don't help us to understand what you are expecting or asserting. Where in your opinions is the obvious place to post feedback about the community?

Brian,

this is easy - just ditch salesforce, forget about the "community" word, and get folks who do fora for a living.

Obviously, they will know what's the obvious place for the feedback.

JW

PS. I've lost access and had to renew password some time ago, too, and you could not find the reason either. It's here in this forum, find it if you want.

Encountered this also, passwords look to have expiry, forum refuses to accept current password, doesn't say why. Recovery here was to request password reset, and then had to do reset procedure, where old password didn't meet new rules, upper/lower, length, symbol whatever.

No other indication of account compromise, or reset attempts

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

"can you describe in more detail what you experienced?"

I think the only thing I missed out was a screenshot - mostly because this forum makes it so hard to post screenshots!

I entered the correct email address, and correct password, and then it would give me the error message:

0693W000008xgDqQAI.pngIt says, "The email address or password you provided does not match our records" - this is not true, as I was copying from a password vault.

So I did the password reset thing.

When I tried to re-enter the same password, it refused it - because the list of allowed special characters no longer includes some of the special characters I used.

So, clearly, something has changed.

If the password had expired, it should say that. It didn't.

BTW: the list of allowed special characters is rather limited - so passwords are actually less secure now than previously!

"Where in your opinions is the obvious place to post feedback about the community"

Somewhere actually in the community!

I would expect "About" to be a read-only area; where I would go to get information - not to post stuff.

> this is easy - just ditch salesforce, forget about the "community" word, and get folks who do fora for a living.

I second that.

I can't understand choosing a CRM software for a forum either. Perhaps someone on top has a micro-management urge.

"Somewhere actually in the community!"

So here is the "Communities Home Page":

0693W000008xgMOQAY.png 

That, surely, is the starting point to answer the question, "where should I post this?"

So that page should have a pointer to "General questions about / issues with the Communities"

Yevgeni Tunik
Senior

I logged in as usual this morning.