cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TouchGFXDesigner on a 4k Monitor is unusable

AWies.1
Associate III

Dear TouchGFXDesigner developers,

Would it be possible that one of you is getting a 4k monitor and does some testing on the user interface? Even in the latest version (4.16.1) on a 4k monitor the user interface is unusable. Especially when trying to edit the properties, elements you try to select are floating around, and it is impossible to select the one you want. Just try to select the image for a button, and you know what I am talking about. On my desk I have a nice setup with two 4k monitors, and currently I have to reduce the resolution on one of them to full HD, just so I can use TouchGFXDesigner. Very annoying, especially it has some side effects in Windows... I like to stress that TouchGFXDesigner is the only program I found so far, which has such issues on a 4k monitor.

Best regards,

Alex

8 REPLIES 8

It has been a recurrent issue with the CubeMX / Java implementation

I would think UI QA would be on top of 4K/UHD displays by now, it's really not a new thing, and the look-n-feel for an array of screen sizes should be a dominant consideration. At the very least there should be some user configuration scripts or settings to allow users to adapt and retain screen settings, scaling and layout.

Software needs to ship with awareness of FHD, QHD and UHD at a minimum, given the predominance in the latter ones in engineering/development environments.

Also the predominance of multi-screen and wide-screen usage.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Alexandre RENOUX
Principal

Hello AWies.1,

Thank you very much for your feedback, we will try to make some testing and come back to you.

/Alexandre

AWies.1
Associate III

Just to give you an idea what the issue is, here are two screen shots. The first one is taken with 4k (scaling factor is 150%), the second one is taken with full HD (scaling factor 100%). You can see that for 4k the tiles for selecting the image have almost entirely disappeared, only one tile is displayed, but that one you can never select with the mouse cursor, since it will disappear before you can reach it. Similar things happen for example when trying to select a color. You will never be able to successfully enter a number for the colors.

The issue seems to be the scaling factor. If I set it to 100% instead of 150%, then everything works; just now the text is so small that I have issues reading it (there is a reason why Windows recommends a scaling factor of 150% for this 4k display, and I agree...). So I recommend that you check the implementation of the UI for the use of the scaling factor. It is evidently missing somewhere.

Alex

0693W000008xhcwQAA.jpg0693W000008xhcrQAA.jpg

Michael K
Senior III

FWIW, I have a 4K monitor and cannot reproduce your issue at 125% or 150% (photo taken at 150%).

AWies.1
Associate III

Found a solution. Seems like a conflict between Windows and TouchGFXDesigner. I had to manually override the high DPI scaling behavior, so the scaling is performed by the application, not the system. Then this issue disappeared. ST: Why is it necessary to do this manually?

Alex

Where is this setting? I'd like to take a look at what I've got.

AWies.1
Associate III

Open the properties of the exe file of TouchGFXDesigner. Tab: "Compatibility". Click on "Change high DPI settings". Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:". Select "Application". Keeping the box unchecked or selecting "System" or "System (Enhanced)" causes the issue.

Alex

Interesting, they remain unchecked for me but I don't have the issue. I suspect there are spookier factors at play... :ghost:

Best of luck