cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, As a part of our new product, we have decided to run the product on PD capability. So, we have decided the product to be developed with two USB PD ports, so that one port can be used for Wall PD charger and other port for PD by laptop.

AV.6
Associate II

We have decided to use STUSB4500 for stand alone PD controller, But the main struggle is to coordinate these two PD ports and switch between them as availability.

Priority is given for Wall charger PD port and the other port is used for PD when Wall charger is not available. So, do you have any ORing IC for selecting between two PD ports..?

5 REPLIES 5
Gregory Go.
Senior II

Hello,

What is the application you want to build ? A USB-C Power Source or Power Sink ?

The STUSB4500 controller is only for Power Sink applications.

AV.6
Associate II

Hi Gregory,

Our requirement is for sinking only.

This is to be implemented on one of our product which is to be powered via these USB PD ports.

Also , i would like to know whether STUSB4500QTR will be sufficient for USB PD 3.0 operation.

---

Thanks & Regards,

Akshay V

Engineer

Hardware Dept

Kalkitech

Gregory Go.
Senior II

Hi,

The STUSB4500 can be used to sink power up to 100W (i.e. from 5V at 1.5A -to- 20V at 5A)

It is compatible with USB-PD v2 and v3.

I don't understand why your application needs 2 USB-C ports ?

Do you use USB-C port only for Power, or also for USB Data ?

ASaje.1930
Associate

I have a very similar situation, my device requires 20 volt @ 1amp. I have one usbc port for USB 2.0 data and one USB c port with pd for power. However, the customer constantly plugs the power into the data port and vice versa. So I have to make it so that they plug power and data to either port. The case of having power and data on a single port is rare since most laptops cannot source 20 volt. ​

Gregory Go.
Senior II

Indeed laptops are not meant to provide 20V, so they just provides the default 5V with USB Data.

It is possible to have one USB-C port used for charging, and the other USB-C port used for Data transfer (to a computer). But you'll need to design your system accordingly.

- If you want the USB Data (D+/D-) to come from either USB-C port_1 or port_2, you'll need to implement a USB2.0 Data hub.

- If you want the USB-C Power (Vbus) to come from either USB-C port_1 or port_2, you'll need to implement a Power system ORing

Note that the Mosfet controlled by STUSB4500 cannot be toggled manually. If you keep the chip in reset, it will disable the Mosfet, but it will also disconnect from the USB-C Source (so no Data transfer will be available).

Thus you need to implement an external ORing (after the STUSB4500 has enabled the power path). 

There is an ORing example on the picture below:

0693W000008z44GQAQ.png