cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32WLE5 Segger J-Link debugger not supported

anonymous.8
Senior II

Hi,

I'm working with the new STM32WLE5 MCU. I switched to our custom board recently, and because of that I'm using a Segger debugger. Prior we used a Nucleo board with the STLink debugger and that worked fine.

Now I adjusted my debug settings for the segger and the CubeIDE tells me that the target device STM32WLE5JC ist not supported. And when I go through the list of devices (which then poped up) there are in fact none of this type.

I have installed IDE version 1.6.0. Then I downloaded the J-Link tools from segger V6.98c and when I'm starting the J-Link commander I can connect and download my program. In their device list the STM32WLE5 devices are there...

So my question: Can you fix this? When can we expect, that the IDE supports this MCU? Otherwise we might switch the IDE, so that we are able to debug. But we would rather not...

Thanks!

Stefan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

Hello Stefan!

The integrated J-Link in CubeIDE 1.6.0 is v6.86f so my guess is that Segger added support for STM32WLE5 between that version and v6.98c that you are using. We will most likely update the J-Link in the next major release of CubeIDE but until then you should be able to start the newer version of the Segger GDB server manually and then in the debug configuration make an attach to that one instead of auto-starting the Segger GDB server.

Let me know if it works!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

Hello Stefan!

The integrated J-Link in CubeIDE 1.6.0 is v6.86f so my guess is that Segger added support for STM32WLE5 between that version and v6.98c that you are using. We will most likely update the J-Link in the next major release of CubeIDE but until then you should be able to start the newer version of the Segger GDB server manually and then in the debug configuration make an attach to that one instead of auto-starting the Segger GDB server.

Let me know if it works!

anonymous.8
Senior II

Hi Markus

Many thanks for your fast answer. I've literally never thought about starting the GDB server manually.. But this was a good idea and it works fine!

It would be better if CubeIDE would not integrate J-Link GDB server at all, but instead just launch the externally installed one, like it is done in EmBitz IDE:

https://blog.bastelhalde.de/static/img/posts/STM32/config_debug.png

The path is a registry value read under HKLM key. Such solution should be easier to develop and maintain for CubeIDE developers and will reduce the package size. And, as J-Link software is updated quite regularly, users will get fixes, improvements, new features and support for new hardware much quicker.