cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When i try to run the program on STM32VLDISCOVERY using the on board debugger, cubeide is keep on displaying that no stlink is detected. Can you please help me out? What's the problem?

SBans.1
Associate II

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The problem is the age of the STM32VLDISCOVERY, which still contains an ST-LINK/V1 that the CubeProgrammer unfortunately cannot access via USB.

The only workaround to be able to debug with CubeIDE is:

• a hardware change by
    • unsolder SB3 and SB7 (bottom side) unsoldering not neccessary
    • remove both of the jumpers at CN3
  • and use an external ST-LINK
    • e.g. ST-LINK/V2, ST-LINK/V2-1 (part of the NUCLEO boards) or ST-LINK/V3
    • connect it using CN3.2 (SWCLK), CN3.4 (SWDIO), GND (e.g. CN2.3) and possibly RESET (P1.10)

In addition to debugging, programming is also possible, as the STM32F100RBT6 on the STM32VLDISCOVERY can be a accessed using the built-in bootloader (USART). Additionally to the 5V via the Mini-USB you only need:

• a cheap USB-UART converter (RX to PA9, TX to PA10, GND to GND)
  • a wire between pin BOOT and 3V3 (BOOT1 is already connected to GND using 510 ohms) - don't forget to reset the target using the black button RST to enter the boot loader after that
  • in STM32CubeProgrammer switch using the top right light blue button from ST-LINK to UART and click Connect

We're sorry there isn't an easier way, but the kit is just too old.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The problem is the age of the STM32VLDISCOVERY, which still contains an ST-LINK/V1 that the CubeProgrammer unfortunately cannot access via USB.

The only workaround to be able to debug with CubeIDE is:

• a hardware change by
    • unsolder SB3 and SB7 (bottom side) unsoldering not neccessary
    • remove both of the jumpers at CN3
  • and use an external ST-LINK
    • e.g. ST-LINK/V2, ST-LINK/V2-1 (part of the NUCLEO boards) or ST-LINK/V3
    • connect it using CN3.2 (SWCLK), CN3.4 (SWDIO), GND (e.g. CN2.3) and possibly RESET (P1.10)

In addition to debugging, programming is also possible, as the STM32F100RBT6 on the STM32VLDISCOVERY can be a accessed using the built-in bootloader (USART). Additionally to the 5V via the Mini-USB you only need:

• a cheap USB-UART converter (RX to PA9, TX to PA10, GND to GND)
  • a wire between pin BOOT and 3V3 (BOOT1 is already connected to GND using 510 ohms) - don't forget to reset the target using the black button RST to enter the boot loader after that
  • in STM32CubeProgrammer switch using the top right light blue button from ST-LINK to UART and click Connect

We're sorry there isn't an easier way, but the kit is just too old.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

> The problem is the age of the STM32VLDISCOVERY, which still contains an ST-LINK/V1 that the CubeProgrammer unfortunately cannot access via USB.

I think this statement is not correct.

Cube can "access via USB", but does not support it, and brings no drivers for that messed-up design.

For the rest, I concur.

Either use an external debug pod, or dispose of the VL Discovery board.

Thanks for the reply and in detailed explanation

Thanks for the reply and in detailed explanation. It really helped me out.​