cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it okay to develop firmware in STM32CubeIDE for Windows?

HAPPYDAY
Associate II

I am using STM32CubeIDE in Ubuntu20.04.

If you create the STM32MP1 project in STM32CubeIDE for Ubuntu, it asks if you want to install the OpenSTLinux SDK. And I have installed it and am using it.

However, in STM32CubeIDE for Windows, if you ask if you want to install the OpenSTLinux SDK, it indicates that the installation can only be installed on Linux, and installation is not possible.

If you look at the attached picture, you can see the OpenSTLinux SDK Manager menu in STM32CubeIDE for Ubuntu, but there is no that menu in STM32CubeIDE for Windows.

I want to develop STM32MP1 Firmware in STM32CubeIDE for Windows because it is inconvenient and slow to use the virtual machine, but I wonder if there is any problem even if I do not install the OpenSTLinux SDK and develop the firmware.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

> Actually, Cortex-A7(Kernel, BSP, Application) and Cortex-M4(Application) will be developed in different OS(A7:Linux, M4:Windows). And I am trying to load Cortex-M4 Binary into Cortex-A7 file system and run it... Is there any problem if I proceed like this?

Usually not. Both are cross-toolchains anyway.

A compatibility of both tools (for the A7 and M4) is of advantage for the development integration. Or the same tool.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @HAPPYDAY​ ,

As far as you only want to develop a Cortex-M4 coprocessor application there's no issue to use STM32CubeIDE windows side.

OpenSTLinux SDK is intended for Cortex-A7 Linux kernel and BSP development and indeed available only on Linux version.

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
HAPPYDAY
Associate II

Thank you for answer.

Sorry, let me be a bit more specific with the question.

Actually, Cortex-A7(Kernel, BSP, Application) and Cortex-M4(Application) will be developed in different OS(A7:Linux, M4:Windows). And I am trying to load Cortex-M4 Binary into Cortex-A7 file system and run it... Is there any problem if I proceed like this?

Thank you for answer.

Sorry, let me be a bit more specific with the question.

Actually, Cortex-A7(Kernel, BSP, Application) and Cortex-M4(Application) will be developed in different OS(A7:Linux, M4:Windows). And I am trying to load Cortex-M4 Binary into Cortex-A7 file system and run it... Is there any problem if I proceed like this?

> Actually, Cortex-A7(Kernel, BSP, Application) and Cortex-M4(Application) will be developed in different OS(A7:Linux, M4:Windows). And I am trying to load Cortex-M4 Binary into Cortex-A7 file system and run it... Is there any problem if I proceed like this?

Usually not. Both are cross-toolchains anyway.

A compatibility of both tools (for the A7 and M4) is of advantage for the development integration. Or the same tool.