cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does ST still maintain the STM8 Peripheral Libraries?

WilkoL
Senior

For example the status of "STM8L15x/16x/05x/AL3Lx/AL31x standard peripheral library" STSW-STM8016 claims it is active. But the release notes seem to suggest that the last time someone took a look at it was at the end of 2014. That's not very active.

Now, there are some problems with it, just as an example, if you want to use the AWU in a STM8L151C8 the SPL omits disabling the wakeup timer before trying to change its settings. In the code below I have added the blocks with (wilko) at the end.

STM8 mcu's are nice things and no doubt people will continue to (want to) use them, because sometimes an 8-bitter is all you need. But if ST stops supporting them...

void RTC_WakeUpClockConfig(RTC_WakeUpClock_TypeDef RTC_WakeUpClock)
{

/* Check the parameters */
  assert_param(IS_RTC_WAKEUP_CLOCK(RTC_WakeUpClock));

/* Disable the write protection for RTC registers */
  RTC->WPR = 0xCA;
  RTC->WPR = 0x53;

// Disable the Wakeup timer in RTC_CR2 register 					(wilko)
  RTC->CR2 &= (uint8_t)~RTC_CR2_WUTE;

//wait until access allowed 										(wilko)
  while ((RTC->ISR1 & RTC_ISR1_WUTWF) != RTC_ISR1_WUTWF);			

/* Clear the Wakeup Timer clock source bits in CR1 register */
  RTC->CR1 &= (uint8_t)~RTC_CR1_WUCKSEL;

/* Configure the clock source */
  RTC->CR1 |= (uint8_t)RTC_WakeUpClock;

// Enable the Wakeup timer in RTC_CR2 register 					(wilko)
  RTC->CR2 |= (uint8_t)RTC_CR2_WUTE;

/* Enable the write protection for RTC registers */
  RTC->WPR = 0xFF; 
}

4 REPLIES 4
Philipp Krause
Senior II

I don't think ST is doing maintenance on the peripheral library any more: they didn't even merge the SDCC support implemented by STM8 users (which can be found on GitHub).

WilkoL
Senior

That's a shame as those STM8 are quite nice things. Almost all hardware you can find in a STM32 is present in STM8 as well. I noticed that it is getting harder to buy STM8 as well. Don't know if it has anything to do with the current shortages in micro electronics or that ST is stopping the production of STM8. Oh well, all things come to an end.

The STM8 is on the Product Longevity list and will be manufactured for at least the next 10 years.

Availability is a different story and varies with demand.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thank you for your answer, that's very good to hear. But my question actually was about the SPL for the STM8 series. Will ST maintain it or leave it the way it is at this moment. (and how about STM8CubeMX ?)

Wilko