cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any resources/docs to learn how to control a stepper motor. (PowerSTEP01 driver)

ZHama.1
Associate II

I'm a beginner who's learned to program STM32 with Nucleos (GPIO, SPI, UART etc.) and want to try to control stepper motors now.

I've purchased an X-NUCLEO-IHM03A1 board based on the PowerSTEP01 driver by ST to control a stepper motor. I've had a look at the example files and drivers but am completely lost. There are a number of long and detailed source files and there is no clear documentation on how to program this driver and interface it with an STM32. My question is then, are there any resources/docs to learn how to use/make a driver file to control a stepper motor? particularly for this module i'm using.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @ZHama.1​,

I suggest starting from the beginning with the powerSTEP documents (datasheet and application notes).

So you can explore the powerSTEP operation with your X-NUCLEO-IHM03A1 board together with X-CUBE-SPN3 expansion software package for STM32Cube.

I suggest to use on of compatible Nucleo board: NUCLEO-F401RE, NUCLEO-F030R8, NUCLEO-F334R8 or NUCLEO-L053R8.

Also I suggest you to use the SPINFamily evaluation tool (STSW-SPIN002) an evaluation software with graphical user interface for STSPIN family devices.

Once you’ve gotten a bit familiar with the device and the tools, you can come back with more targeted questions (opening new topic).

I hope this post can help you. If so, consider to mark it as best answer by clicking the label "Select as Best".

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Andrew Neil
Chief II

On the basics of stepper motors:

http://homepage.divms.uiowa.edu/~jones/step/

Note that there is a specific ST forum for motor control:

https://community.st.com/s/topic/0TO0X000000BSqZWAW/motor-control

Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @ZHama.1​,

I suggest starting from the beginning with the powerSTEP documents (datasheet and application notes).

So you can explore the powerSTEP operation with your X-NUCLEO-IHM03A1 board together with X-CUBE-SPN3 expansion software package for STM32Cube.

I suggest to use on of compatible Nucleo board: NUCLEO-F401RE, NUCLEO-F030R8, NUCLEO-F334R8 or NUCLEO-L053R8.

Also I suggest you to use the SPINFamily evaluation tool (STSW-SPIN002) an evaluation software with graphical user interface for STSPIN family devices.

Once you’ve gotten a bit familiar with the device and the tools, you can come back with more targeted questions (opening new topic).

I hope this post can help you. If so, consider to mark it as best answer by clicking the label "Select as Best".