Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internal watchdog

Pkats.1
Associate II

Hey,

im going to use the STM32h743 uC

In case the SW got stuck, is it possible to reset the program internally ?

i would like "to save" implementation of External HW Watchdog.

Moreover, do you have any recommendation for external HW circuit for Watchdog?

Best Reagrds

peleg

2 REPLIES 2
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

There is no need for an external watchdog as there are two watchdogs already built in:

• IWDG - Independent Watchdog, comparable to an external one due to the independent clock
  • WWDG - Windowed Watchdog, flexible due to with two time limits, but supplied with normal clock source

You will find more information in RM0433.

Regards

Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Danish1
Lead II

Most stm32 ('h743 included) have two internal watchdogs that can be used to reset the uC.

There is the Window Watchdog WWDG that runs from the APB bus clock. This watchdog is fairly sophisticated and has means for detecting "spurious" refreshes (in case the program might have crashed in a way that is accidentally refreshing the watchdog) and resetting under those circumstances as well.

This has the disadvantage that if the APB clock is stopped, so is the watchdog.

And the Independent Watchdog. This is relatively simple, but has its own hardware oscillator so once it is started, it can't be turned off without a reset.

External HW watchdog?

I tend to put MAX823 as a power-on-reset with built-in watchdog (from the days when power-on-reset built into microcontrollers wasn't very reliable). I haven't had cause to stop putting it in (which might be down to cost or board area) so I still put it in.

Hope this helps,

Danish